Volvo Pentat 3.0l Plumbing configuration question

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Okay - i've been trying to chase down a cooling issue for a while now and was recently putting things back together when i realized that i'm puzzled by the configuration of the plumbing on my boat.

I've got a Volvo Penta 3.0L GS PEFS engine (1999). According to the schematic (attached below) there is a hose (21) which is supposed to connect from the T-stat housing to the exhaust riser. What i'm puzzled by is how????

On the t-stat housing i have 3 large connections: an intake from the fresh water pump (1) an output to the circluating pump(3) and an output to the manifold (25). There is also a small hose that comes off an elbow and goes to the base of the carb (solved my mystery hose question from earlier, btw). But there is no additional fitting or any way to connect another hose to the t-stat housing. It would seem to me that the bypass to the riser would be important to have water flowing to it before the t-stat opens.

Anyone have any ideas how i'm supposed to accomplish this? None of the Volvo Penta dealers locally have been able to come up with an answer.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Cooling schematic.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Pentat 3.0l Plumbing configuration question

It's very simple, you never want to use a parts schematic as how to put things back together. In older models that hose did go to the the thermostat housing, but it was a different type housing.
Here is a flow diagram from the service manual that shows how it should be.

Attachments

• cooling.pdf
    94.5 KB · Views: 0

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Pentat 3.0l Plumbing configuration question

Thanks Don. The page from the manual that you posted is the one that raised my curiosity in the first place as that diagram is very different to the way my boat is actually put together. Mine does not have the 4th outlet on the T-stat housing as per the manual diagram.

So i guess i need to buy a different T-stat housing and convert the OEM equipment to match the manual???? How do i find the part number for the one with the extra outlet - as all of the parts places only list the 3 port one?