Volvo Penta won’t run at full power

tmise40

Recruit
This 4.3 i/o will only get up to about 9-10 mph. Also have a 6 hp kicker motor that gets it’s fuel supply from the 4.3 fuel/water separator. The 6hp starts and runs then shuts off due to the primer bulb collapsing. Wonder if this fuel issue with both engines is related?

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. . .

Short answer is yes.

The first thing to check is the venting of the fuel tank, as it may be clogged. See if the problem goes away if you loosen the fuel fill cap slightly so air can get in.

If so, then check the vent line to the tank for clogs, kinks, other obstructions.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Fuel tank pickup clogged or anti syphon blocked. I presume you have checked the fuel/water separator is clean?
Try a portable tank directly into the the fuel/water separator.

tmise40

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats. . .

Short answer is yes.

The first thing to check is the venting of the fuel tank, as it may be clogged. See if the problem goes away if you loosen the fuel fill cap slightly so air can get in.

If so, then check the vent line to the tank for clogs, kinks, other obstructions.
I’ll check into those things, thank you!

tmise40

Recruit
Fuel tank pickup clogged or anti syphon blocked. I presume you have checked the fuel/water separator is clean?
Try a portable tank directly into the the fuel/water separator.
Yes the separator is clean and new filter. I’ll check those other things you mentioned, thanks!