volvo penta sx upper gear set noise

shortreed6

Recruit
Hi all,
This is my first post and to be honest I am a little frustrated. I have a 2008 glastron 205gt...sweet boat and I love it, however; it started to make a gear set noise at about 68 hours on it. I've taken it into our local VP guy and he agrees that the noise is there, it shouldn't be and it needs to be fixed. So far so good, right? Wrong:(
He replaced the gimball bearing, noise still there, he shimmed the pinion inwards, noise still there, shimmed outwards, noise still there. Back to OEM, noise, of course, still there. It sounds, to me, like the gears aren't mating correctly. It is more pronounced hard right and a little less pronounced hard left. It does it in gear and out of gear. He's called VP dealer support and they're still looking into it. When I called dealer support they told me that the clearances aren't as critical as the gear contact patterns.
Anyone here have the same type of issues? Again, the noise a constant sound at the top of the leg where the shift mechanism is. The bottom of the leg is as quiet as a mouse as is the gimball/transom area...
Thanx,:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta sx upper gear set noise

When I called dealer support they told me that the clearances aren't as critical as the gear contact patterns

They are absolutely right. You can't just move the pinion in or out and expect to get the proper pattern, and without that pattern, you will get noise.
The pinion goes in and out, and both the rev and fwd gears go up and down to get the pattern and the backlash just right at the same time.

shortreed6

Recruit

Is this gear set a straight cut or a helically cut gear set? Also, I've heard that the SX drive is essentially the "new imporved" OMC drive, that I've heard was less than stellar in its day...

shortreed6

Recruit

I should also mention that the leg was quiet when I got the boat with 42 hours on it...noise came on during the 26 or so hours I've put on it.

max2000here

Recruit

Hi all,
This is my first post and to be honest I am a little frustrated. I have a 2008 glastron 205gt...sweet boat and I love it, however; it started to make a gear set noise at about 68 hours on it. I've taken it into our local VP guy and he agrees that the noise is there, it shouldn't be and it needs to be fixed. So far so good, right? Wrong:(
He replaced the gimball bearing, noise still there, he shimmed the pinion inwards, noise still there, shimmed outwards, noise still there. Back to OEM, noise, of course, still there. It sounds, to me, like the gears aren't mating correctly. It is more pronounced hard right and a little less pronounced hard left. It does it in gear and out of gear. He's called VP dealer support and they're still looking into it. When I called dealer support they told me that the clearances aren't as critical as the gear contact patterns.
Anyone here have the same type of issues? Again, the noise a constant sound at the top of the leg where the shift mechanism is. The bottom of the leg is as quiet as a mouse as is the gimball/transom area...
Thanx,:confused:
hello, i was wondering if you figured out the problem, i have a 2000 glastron, 195sx.... new gimbal, new ujoints and same gear noise.. any help would be appreciated

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start a new thread with your question. Since the original poster never posted a reply, I doubt he was able to fix his problem.