Volvo Penta SX - replacing exhaust bellows

txflood

Cadet
I have a 1996 Glastron GS 185 that has a 4.3 GS and the SX Cobra drive and I started it up this past weekend for the first time this season (yeah I know, we are off to a late start this year). I saw that the exhaust bellows now has a rip in it and started looking into how to replace it.

I think the OEM part that I need is 3850426 and I found this listing:

http://www.iboats.com/OMC_Sterndrive_Cobra_Exhaust_Bellows/dm/category_id.268717--view_id.269445

Looking in the shop manual and at the diagrams I found on the web, it looks like there is standard clamp on the transom bracket side of the bellows, but a snap ring is used to attach the other end to the drive. This is the part that has me a bit worried.

Is there some special snap ring tool required to do this job?

Are there any sealants or adhesives needed?

I'm trying to see if this is a job best left for a repair shop or if others have had success in tackling this job themselves.

Thanks,
Jim

txflood

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta SX - replacing exhaust bellows

I also wanted to add that I was talking to a repair guy this morning and tells me that having a crack in the exhaust bellows isn't a huge deal by itself. He says the bellows is really just for muffling purposes. He said the bigger issue to worry about is that this may be a sign that the u joint bellows may be on its way out and he recommended that it should be replaced at the same time as the exhaust bellows.

Any opinions?