Volvo Penta SX power steering actuator fluid leak from large cylinder

lazywater

Cadet
I have noticed a leak from the large cylinder (left seal under the 'P' in PENTA) on my 2017 power steering actuator. It is VP part# 21910902 Steering Cylinder SKU: VOL-21910902. Online research indicates the part is non-serviceable. There are after-market seal kits and rebuild services, but they only address leaks in the smaller upper rod. New replacement cost is $850-1100. It will be a very tight install/removal with the boat design.

Fluid level just touched the bottom of the fill stick. I could see where the fluid dripped down into the bottom of the hull and feel a slick of fluid along the bottom of the large cylinder on the starboard side (left side of image below). This is red fluid which I believe is Dextron III ATF and not Volvo Penta power steering fluid. I'm not sure if it came like this from the factory or if this was replaced during service at the marina.

Because our garage is a tight fit, I often swing the motor to one side. This sometimes happens with the engine off by pushing the motor and/or cranking the wheel. Could this cause enough back pressure to be the reason for the leak? How much of a leak is tolerable on something like this? The boat only has 120 hours and the part still looks mint. We do a fair amount of side to side over steer to correct the horrendous bow wander on this hull in order to maintain a heading at low speed (Stingray 198ls).

If I take this on, I would need to either completely drain and refill fluid or top it off as necessary. The Volvo manual specifies Volvo Penta Power Steering fluid (clear) or non-US Dextron 2+ ATF. What does non-US mean? I'm in the US and not Canada. Does anyone know if the alternate fluid could be the reason for the seal failure? I believe Dextron III ATF is a longer lasting fluid (also cheaper) than the clear VP power steering fluid, but would like to hear opinions. I suspect that even if I drain and refill with the clear VP, I'll be stuck with a reddish hue in the reservoir. I can't easily remove the reservoir for cleaning because it is co-molded into the antifreeze tank on this engine (freshwater marine). This makes me want to continue with the red Dex ATF, assuming it's viscosity and/or seal conditioners aren't the cause of the leak.

Lastly, it will need to be bled after installation and topping off the fluid. This will require running the engine out of water which is new to me. I'm assuming I just need to idle the engine and turn the wheel from chalk to chalk until it stops whining? There is a blue fill hose wedged into the back of the SX out drive. Can I use that instead of muffs to run water to the engine? If anyone has done this and has tips, I'm all ears. This would be my first experience running the motor out of water. I'm reluctant to try to bleed the power steering at the launch which tends to be busy and stressful.

1653541597366.jpeg1653539959205.png
Is this a water port to use in lieu of muffs or in addition to them?
1653541658393.jpeg

Last edited:

fredcollard55

Recruit
J'ai remarqué une fuite du gros cylindre (joint gauche sous le 'P' dans PENTA) sur mon actionneur de direction assistée 2017. Il s'agit de la référence du cylindre de direction VP # 21910902 : VOL-21910902. La recherche en ligne indique que la pièce n'est pas réparable. Il existe des kits de joints et des services de reconstruction après-vente, mais ils ne traitent que les fuites dans la tige supérieure plus petite. Le nouveau coût de remplacement est de 850 à 1 100 $. Ce sera une installation/retrait très serrée avec la conception du bateau.

Le niveau de liquide vient de toucher le bas du bâtonnet de remplissage. Je pouvais voir où le fluide coulait dans le fond de la coque et sentir une nappe de fluide le long du fond du grand cylindre du côté tribord (côté gauche de l'image ci-dessous). Il s'agit d'un liquide rouge qui, je crois, est du Dextron III ATF et non du liquide de direction assistée Volvo Penta. Je ne sais pas s'il est venu comme ça de l'usine ou s'il a été remplacé pendant le service à la marina.

Parce que notre garage est un ajustement serré, je balance souvent le moteur d'un côté. Cela se produit parfois avec le moteur éteint en poussant le moteur et/ou en faisant tourner la roue. Cela pourrait-il causer suffisamment de contre-pression pour être la cause de la fuite? Quelle quantité de fuite est tolérable sur quelque chose comme ça? Le bateau n'a que 120 heures et la pièce a toujours l'air neuve. Nous effectuons pas mal de survirages côte à côte pour corriger l'horrible dérive de l'étrave sur cette coque afin de maintenir un cap à basse vitesse (Stingray 198ls).

Si je prends cela, je devrais soit vider complètement et remplir de liquide, soit le compléter si nécessaire. Le manuel Volvo spécifie le fluide de direction assistée Volvo Penta (transparent) ou le Dextron 2+ ATF non américain. Que signifie non américain ? Je suis aux États-Unis et non au Canada. Est-ce que quelqu'un sait si le fluide alternatif pourrait être la cause de la défaillance du joint? Je crois que Dextron III ATF est un liquide plus durable (également moins cher) que le liquide de direction assistée clair VP, mais j'aimerais entendre des opinions. Je soupçonne que même si je vidange et remplis avec le VP clair, je serai coincé avec une teinte rougeâtre dans le réservoir. Je ne peux pas facilement retirer le réservoir pour le nettoyer car il est co-moulé dans le réservoir d'antigel de ce moteur (marine d'eau douce). Cela me donne envie de continuer avec le Dex ATF rouge, en supposant que sa viscosité et/ou ses conditionneurs d'étanchéité ne sont pas

Enfin, il devra être purgé après l'installation et le remplissage du liquide. Cela nécessitera de faire tourner le moteur hors de l'eau, ce qui est nouveau pour moi. Je suppose que j'ai juste besoin de tourner le moteur au ralenti et de tourner la roue de craie à craie jusqu'à ce qu'elle arrête de gémir ? Il y a un tuyau de remplissage bleu coincé à l'arrière de la sortie SX. Puis-je l'utiliser à la place des manchons pour faire couler de l'eau dans le moteur ? Si quelqu'un l'a déjà fait et a des conseils, je suis tout ouïe. Ce serait ma première expérience de fonctionnement du moteur hors de l'eau. J'hésite à essayer de purger la direction assistée au lancement qui a tendance à être occupé et stressant.

View attachment 361369View attachment 361368
S'agit-il d'un port d'eau à utiliser à la place des manchons ou en plus de ceux-ci ?
View attachment 361370
BONJOUR
J AI EXACTEMENT LA MEME FUITE QUE TOI. DU GOUTE A GOUTE SOUS LE P DE PENTA J AI PURGE ET J AI DEMONTE LE VERIN MAIS JOINT INTROUVABLE. PHOTO FC
J AVAIS AUSSI UNE PLUS GROSSE FUITE AU NIVEAU DU REFROIDISSEUR D HUILE ( SOUDURE EFFECTUE ) ET J EN SUIS LA.....

Attachments

• 20220729_132012 (1).jpg
    20220729_132012 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

lazywater

Cadet
According to rebuild company in Florida, the large cylinder cannot be repaired. On my part, the seal was blue. It was still partially sealing but I had a slow drip under the P. I could have driven it as-is but I hate leaking fluid into the bilge. I was forced to purchase a new part. I have it installed with no further leaks. I believe my leak was caused by manually steering the boat with the engine off which creates back pressure that will cause the seal to fail prematurely. These steering actuators are notorious for leaks.

FYI, you must remove the end cap to disassemble the large cylinder. You will need to make a tool that fits the end pins. Since there are no available after market seals that fit this, it will be a futile effort. Mine was very firmly attached and I bent two small allen wrenches and was unable to make it move.

Last edited: