Volvo Penta SX-M Trim Cylinder leak

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
I took apart both of my trim cylinders, cleaned thoroughly, and replaced all of the seals with a rebuild kit. All of the parts looked to be in good shape, maybe a little pitting on one of the ram caps. When I put it all back together and tested it I am still getting a leak at the port side cylinder where the rod goes into the cylinder cap. It squirts out there when lowering the drive. It does not leak when all the way up and stationary. In other words, it does not leak when still, only when pumping. I ran it up and down several times.

I’m somewhat discouraged after all of that work and really don’t want to buy bran new cylinders for this old boat.

I’m looking at trying this kit since it comes with a new ram cap.

Any other ideas? Thanks

Beachcrafter

Cadet
I took apart both of my trim cylinders, cleaned thoroughly, and replaced all of the seals with a rebuild kit. All of the parts looked to be in good shape, maybe a little pitting on one of the ram caps. When I put it all back together and tested it I am still getting a leak at the port side cylinder where the rod goes into the cylinder cap. It squirts out there when lowering the drive. It does not leak when all the way up and stationary. In other words, it does not leak when still, only when pumping. I ran it up and down several times.

I’m somewhat discouraged after all of that work and really don’t want to buy bran new cylinders for this old boat.

I’m looking at trying this kit since it comes with a new ram cap.

Any other ideas? Thanks
Is it possible to swap the cylinders? If so, do it and see if the leak moves or stays
That'll tell you what to do.