Volvo Penta SX-M outdrive lower case rebuild

JoeAai

Recruit
I have a 1999 Wellcraft Martinque 3000 with twin Volvo Penta SX-M outdrives. The lower gear cases need to be replaced. The center carrier bearings are totally corroded. I couldn't remove them from the lower gear case. I was able to find two used lower gear cases and new bearing carriers.
I actually cut apart one old gear case and removed the gears and drive shaft and prop shaft. I have a Volvo Penta shop manual as an assembly guide. I assembled all the components in the newer lower gear case. The prop shaft had a lot of drag on it the drive shaft had about 0.015" backlash. I ended up removing 0.005" from behind the propshaft and adding 0.010" behind the drive shaft bearing race. The prop shaft now has good rolling torque with not end play. The drive shaft now has ~0.005" backlash.
My concern in the shop manual says to set up the drive shaft backlash from 0.0085" to 0.011" .
The old drives didn't have any backlash, not really sure what I should do to setup the proper backlash.
Any help would be appreciated
Joe

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP guy but maybe my comment will bring in another
Most manuals list adjustments based on new and old components. New gears/bearings have tighter backlash then used ones. To increase backlash the gears need to come further apart and is usually done by removing shims on the bearing race

JoeAai

Recruit
Thank you for you feedback. The gears and bearing are all used. The boat has 485 hrs on it. The gears hardly show any contact pattern wear. I don't think this boat has had a lot on speed use. Thinking idling to an anchor spot and that's it. I setup the backlash to less then 0.010". I am tempted to leave it there. I haven't put the seals in the case until I get more help.
Thanks Again
Joe