Volvo Penta SX-M bellows inspection on boat?

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to just trim up the lower unit and pull the upper drive bellows to inspect the shaft, U-joints and possibly see the gimble area, check for water intrusion, while the lower unit is all still attached?

It seems I can see this, but I dont know if there is wisdom that says not to inspect this way?

I have a Volvo manual on the way, but dont have it yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Brent In Mpls.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta SX-M bellows inspection on boat?

Is it possible to just trim up the lower unit and pull the upper drive bellows to inspect the shaft, U-joints and possibly see the gimble area, check for water intrusion, while the lower unit is all still attached?

Nope, if you can see the ujoints, gimbal bearing etc. by looking underneath the drive, your bellows is missing.

I have a Volvo manual on the way, but dont have it yet.

Here is a link to that manual, now you have it NOW!!!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice

Don
Thank you again for the manual. This is like gold.

If I look up, I see both bellows. I also see the clamp that holds them in place at the transom side of bellows. If I loosen that clamp on the upper drive bellows, I should be able to pull it back to give it a once over to check for water intrusion and level of corrosion.

Im looking to know if there is any gotcha from trying to do such an inspection. I read that you should be using the Volvo sealing compound on the transom where the bellows atttaches, so if this inspection method is done, then you would need to try to re-apply some new sealing compound, after removal of the old.

It might be that youll never get the old sealant properly removed and the new sealant coated, so you'll end up with a leak just due to the inspection attempt.

Any tribal knowledge on that idea?

cr2k

Captain

True...The only way to do it and be safe is to pull the drive.

Don S

I read that you should be using the Volvo sealing compound on the transom where the bellows atttaches, so if this inspection method is done, then you would need to try to re-apply some new sealing compound, after removal of the old.

Where are you reading this gibberish ????????????

If you want to inspect the bellows, remove the outdrive. If no water is in the bellows, it's good. Just check your alignment, lube your ujoints, grease the splines with spline grease and rinstall the drive with a new ring around the water passage. The alignment and greasing the splines MUST be done at least yearly. Just part of owning an outdrive.

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice

Where are you reading this gibberish ????????????

If you want to inspect the bellows, remove the outdrive. If no water is in the bellows, it's good. Just check your alignment, lube your ujoints, grease the splines with spline grease and rinstall the drive with a new ring around the water passage. The alignment and greasing the splines MUST be done at least yearly. Just part of owning an outdrive.

Don
Page 43 of the Volvo Penta SX..,DP-S service manual: U-joint and Exhaust Bellows Installation: "Coat outside surface of the gimble bearing bore with Volvo Penta Gasket Sealing Compound".

Here is the parts list Im working on:
TOOLS
1) Engine hoist with Eyelet ring or build a dolly for outdrive. Not sure about the dolly idea though.
2) 3 jaw hammer slide (OTC 1176 type)
3) My trusty U-joint removal C-Clamp with sockets to fit. Im goiung to try to avoid using my 3lb engineers hammer, which I usually use on U-joints.
4) Gimble install tool ( large socket or ?)
5) Gimble alignment tool

PARTS
1) Gimble bearing -Volvo
2) U-joints (2x) -Spicer if I can find them.
3) Drive Bellows (exhaust bellows looks great)
4) New lock nuts (6x) if not tight turning during install
5) Volvo Penta Gasket Sealing Compound
6) Gimble bearing grease
7) Volvo grease 828250 for pinion bearing carrier end and Ujoint bellow lip
8) Volvo sealing compund 1141570
9) Moly grease for splines
10) Motor oil for O-rings

Am I missing anything?

Is there a Volvo kit with all the required parts: Bellows & bearing etc.?

Just found this: Bellows kit (PN 3841481)
Im getting closer.

surfingfireboy

Recruit

Don S

Please don't reply to old threads