Volvo Penta - SX Drive - Trim Cylinder Removal - Leak - Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta - SX Drive - Trim Cylinder Removal - Leak - Replacement

You should pull the drive. Might be a new adventure but you have to do that.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

You should pull the drive. Might be a new adventure but you have to do that.
Pulling the drive scares me... I am not mechanic and only following directions I receive on here and one what paperwork I've downloaded from Volvo Penta, due to never receiving any owners/operators manuals with the boat.

I was going to make the repairs that I've gotten into, and then take the boat to a dealer and have them just do a lower unit service on it... what do you think?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Repairing the trim cylinders is harder than pulling the drive so if you are comfortable with that, pulling the drive is normally easier, assuming its not stuck on there which it might be considering your other issues.

Bondo

Staff member

Repairing the trim cylinders is harder than pulling the drive so if you are comfortable with that, pulling the drive is normally easier, assuming its not stuck on there which it might be considering your other issues.

Ayuh,.... I agree with Bruce,.... Yer this deep into it, 'n pullin' the drive is somethin' ya oughta know how to do Anyways...

If there's More Corrosion to Fight,...

It'll be Much Cheaper doin' it yerself with guidance, than throwin' $100. an Hour, at a Marina....

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

If you think it's best, I'll try it.... but from what I've read (after Bruce's suggestion I researched a little), I will need to build a caddy, so to speak... something to hold the drive upright and in position... and purchase an alignment tool, $40... and then, I don't know what I'm looking for once in there and what I need to grease, oil etc.

Building a spanner wrench was a cake-walk... building a weight supporting caddy for the drive is not quite as simple.... is there a "step by step, how to" for removing my drive that you can suggest for me? Going to YouTube search "how to remove a Volvo Penta drive" and see if that turns up any educational videos....

Thanks in advance for any advice...

crocco302

Recruit
Afternoon gentlemen...

Bit of an issue here... I have attached some photos to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with here...

I have ran into an issue with removing my Trim Cylinder from the Volvo Penta SX outdrive. I have removed the C Pins and washers... that's it. Is there anything else holding this bad boy on or is it just the corrosion keeping it from budging? I have beat the living daylights out of this thing and still, no give. I cannot get the cylinder off the pin closest the boat.

If there is something I am missing, please enlighten me... if the 2 pins and 2 washers (1 on each end of the cylinder) are the only thing holding this cylinder on, I have removed those. If the corrosion is the issue... any suggestions on breaking the corrosion up so I can finish this project???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
DDameronView attachment 153257View attachment 153258View attachment 153259
I am having the same issue with my trim cylinders they started leaking out of nowhere and the two pins on the outdrive or seized in there. Does anyone know where to purchase new cylinders I was told they are not rebuildable
because of their condition.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I am having the same issue with my trim cylinders they started leaking out of nowhere and the two pins on the outdrive or seized in there. Does anyone know where to purchase new cylinders I was told they are not rebuildable
because of their condition.
Best to start a topic about your trim cylinders

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.