Volvo penta & sx drive lock up

Mannie

Cadet
Hi guys, I was going astern out of my berth today when I picked up a huge chunk of plastic awning in my prop. The engine cut out, and i restarted, put the leg into reverse and it seized solid. Raised the leg to find the prop totally fouled. I eventually cut it free & got towed back to my berth (15 feet!).
With prop free I couldnt get the engine to turn over (turned key and starter wouldnt engage, nothing showed up on clocks), it was as if you were trying to start it in gear... nothing. I moved the shift lever forward & back a few times & checked that the prop was engaging into forward, reverse & neutral (turning it by hand). After some time the engine eventually turned over and after another while I got the engine to fire. Took it out for a run and it seemed OK, but I would like to understand why the engine wouldnt fire after the prop was free.
I dont like the idea of 'it just fixing itself' as this is likley to let me down in future. It's a 5.7GL engine, is there such a thing as a safe mode with this engine (carb, not fuel injected) I checked fuses and they were fine, it just doesnt add up! When I turned the key the clocks all read zero, but then it sparked into life. Any advice, help or general ridicule... much appreciated

Mannie

Cadet
Re: Volvo penta & sx drive lock up

A flooded engine would still turn over, I was getting nothing when turning the key

Technologic80

Seaman
Re: Volvo penta & sx drive lock up

Ahhhhhh the engine was likely hydrolocked.

When the engine shuts off suddenly while you are moving, water rushes back up the outdrive through the exhaust, into the engine. You are lucky you didnt damage anything because water doesnt compress. I.e. bent rods, bent valves, etc.

This is not all that uncommon, btw. Some people will be idling/cruising and accidentally pull their lanyard (safety switch tether) and stall the engine, wont restart. Then they find out they have lakewater in a few cylinders....