volvo penta shift cable replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasto

Captain
I am replacing the shift cable on an 04 Volvo Penta single prop outdrive. Looking for imput on removing the cable from this drive. Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo penta shift cable replace

Take off the back cover of the drive and remove the cotter pin and the linkage part off the threaded part of the cable along with the lock nut. There is also a bolt with a plate that holds the cable in place that has to be loosend before pulling the cable out. #22 in the following picture
12444.gif

sasto

Captain

Thanks BruceB for your help. I have read many of your post over the years and you know what you are talking about. Looks simple enough. May our paths cross again.

sasto

Captain

The shift cable is removed from the outdrive now but I'm not sure how to pull it through the transom. Are there any other suggestions. Sorry, I am a diesel guy.......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just pull it out from the engine side. Make sure you unscrew both the locknut and the piece that the cotter pin goes through. Putting it back in is harder. Just pour some dish washing liquid in the tube to make it slide easier.

sasto

Captain

Thanks Bruce, again. After inspection I realized I was pulling on the water tube and not the shift cable. Done deal.

sasto

Captain

Take off the back cover of the drive and remove the cotter pin and the linkage part off the threaded part of the cable along with the lock nut. There is also a bolt with a plate that holds the cable in place that has to be loosend before pulling the cable out. #22 in the following picture
12444.gif

Where may I find or order part #22 as my mate says it went in the drink.........Disregard post, went diving and retrieved it.

sasto

Captain

Finally have time to run this boat.......what is the proper way to adjust this shift cable. She dosen't want to ingage in foreward. Unable to locate a thread. Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1) With the linkage disconnected at the drive, put the control in neutral.
2) Make sure the drive is in neutral by manually turning the shifter(at the back of the drive) to the neutral position.
3) thread the Nut that the cotter pins goes on the cable so that it is even with line with the shift linkage. There will be play in the linkage. What I do is figure out the amount of play and adjust the Nut so that it is in the center of the play.
4) Reinstall washer and cotter pin. Use a new stainless steel cotter pin.

Are you doing this while the boat is in the water? Doesn't sound like fun if you are.

sasto

Captain

Thanks again Bruce, sounds realitively simple the way you put it. Will adjust in the AM. You are very observant...boat is not in the water but only a few feet away....on a lift. :D The only boat I have to work on it is a kayak. Yup, a pain. Doing a "snowbird" neighbor friend a favor, hope he takes me out for a bite and a brew. We owe you!

Status
Not open for further replies.