Volvo penta Mechanical fuel pump

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Hi me again. Does anyone know what the inlet and outlet port thread sizes are on a volvo penta pump 826493 I know its an inverted flare but need to know the thread
Cheers sam

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What engine do you have? If it’s a Chevy small block V6 or V8 it’s a Carter mechanical pump. If it’s the Volvo in-line 4 then I have no idea...

alldodge

Staff member
The OD of the 1/4 NPT is 1/2 (0.540)
Measure the fuel line OD and if its slightly larger then 3/8 then its 3/8

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
What engine do you have? If it’s a Chevy small block V6 or V8 it’s a Carter mechanical pump. If it’s the Volvo in-line 4 then I have no idea...
Hi Thanks its small block chevy v8 if ive found the correct carter pump its 1/4 npt
Do you know if this is correct and what the correct carter part no is
Ive attached a picture of the pump I have
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201028-220307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028-220307_Chrome.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1/4" NPT in the body, the addapters are 1/4" NPT to 5/8" inverted flare for the 3/8" tubing

and the adapters are bronze, not brass. re-use your old adapters

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Take a look at the Carter fuel
Pump website you might be able to find it there. When I changed mine I got the # off of the old pump...

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your replies.
Sorry to be that annoying person asking loads of questions. Being in the UK its difficult to find information and parts required on the older engines.
Is the pipe that comes from the fuel filter housing to the pump 5/8 npt inverted flare and the pipe comming out 5/8npt inverted flare
Cheers again

alldodge

Staff member
npt and inverted flare are different, no such thing as a 5/8npt inverted flare.
The carb adapter would be 1/4 npt to 5/8 inverted flare

Need a motor serial number to verify, but being a sbc it is probably all steel lines will be 5/8 inverted flare. Filter to pump, and pump to carb

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for your replies.
Sorry to be that annoying person asking loads of questions. Being in the UK its difficult to find information and parts required on the older engines.
Is the pipe that comes from the fuel filter housing to the pump 5/8 npt inverted flare and the pipe comming out 5/8npt inverted flare
Cheers again
the steel line coming from the fuel water separator to the fuel pump and the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor are going to be 3/8" steel tubing with a double flare. (its basically 3/8" brake line for US made cars). the tube nut will have a 5/8"-11 thread per inch thread (again, its a tube nut commonly used for 3/8" brake lines

depending on what carburetor you have, the line going from the fuel pump to the fuel inlet on the carb will either be a very simple line, or if its a holley 4150 carb, its a custom made piece only available from Volvo, however it can be re-made easily. it will take a brazing torch and some 3/8" steel tube and a bunch of tubing benders, cutters and double flaring tools.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
it would help if you have your volvo penta model number, that is a start at least but the standard marine mechanical fuel pump is what you need on the Chevy V8. Keep in mind this is operated by a pushrod that runs off the camshaft, these can be a bit tricky to install.