volvo penta ignition coil

whunara

Cadet
Hello i have a 1998 5.7 gs volvo penta coil stud broke off today and had trip planned for tomorrow it says i need a external resistor is there a chevy coil i could buy since no boat stores r open tomorrow to use and get by for a week thanks
i dont wont to burn up the motor so am looking for support on this

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta ignition coil

You had the wrong coil in it. You have electronic ignition (Prestolite BID ign.), no external resistor needed. Basically all you need is a standard 12V coil without an internal resistor built into the coil.

whunara

Cadet

The coil is different it looks like a older chevy coil pre 80s it has a part number mit-015775 on it nothing else od120 doesnt the resistor drop the voltage before it hits the coil so it doesnt burn up the distribitor is it still 12 volt or does it drop lower before going through coil

whunara

Cadet

You had the wrong coil in it. You have electronic ignition (Prestolite BID ign.), no external resistor needed. Basically all you need is a standard 12V coil without an internal resistor built into the coil.

Do you think someone added the resistor I seen it in the line that ran to the positive side of coil the coil has od120
mit-015775 on it

Maclin

Admiral

whunara,

Since you are on a tight timeline, to be sure of what you have check the voltage at the coil positive terminal with the ignition on, not cranking, engine does not have to be running. If it is 9v then there is a ballast resistor in the circuit and you should use a coil specified to have external resistance. If it has 12v then there is no ballast resistor so use a coil with internal resistance. Universal coils are ok, but look at the tower type as the coil wire boot may not fit.

Technologic80

Seaman

Those are for HEI ignitions, not relevant for the Volvo Penta ignition systems.

Well, not exactly. My twin 97 4.3Gi's marinized by Volvo Penta are Delco HEI ignition systems. But I get what you are saying, his Volvo Penta engine isnt HEI.

whunara

Cadet

whunara,

Since you are on a tight timeline, to be sure of what you have check the voltage at the coil positive terminal with the ignition on, not cranking, engine does not have to be running. If it is 9v then there is a ballast resistor in the circuit and you should use a coil specified to have external resistance. If it has 12v then there is no ballast resistor so use a coil with internal resistance. Universal coils are ok, but look at the tower type as the coil wire boot may not fit.

thanks will check

whunara

Cadet

k so i tested positive wire at coil its reading 12 volts little over so as you said there must not and is no resistor in the line correct i tested the old coil by removing it and hooking it directly to a battery with test leads read 12 volt at distribitor wire terminal did the same with a 12 volt coil i picked up from advance and it read the same as old one with dc flowing through it put it on and boat fired right up so am i correct this volvo coil has 12 volts going in and 12 coming out and will go to the distribitor the same also points wont burn up is it meant to have 12 feeding it thanks all the info is helping me understand this all more raced cars for 9 yrs and never worried about super coils or frying anything guess i grew up a little lol

Ellis736

Recruit

Im looking for some help. I have a 1993 volvo penta with a 5.7 chevy 350. When my tachometer wire is hooked up to the coil the motor grounds out and wont start. When I disconnet the tachometer the motor will run and burn the coil up after about an hour of use. Wondering what I need todo to fix the problem?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard Ellis, you need to start a new thread of your own, this thread belongs to whunara and his questions.