Volvo Penta | Holley Carb Leak - Fuel Line Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I've a fuel line leak at the brass connector from the fuel line into the holley carb - I cannot get this tightened any further. How is this expected to get a good seal, do others use PTFE tape or similar? Or some kind of gasket?

Picture below to help.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_183341.jpg
    IMG_20220508_183341.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its an inverted flare fitting.

if its leaking, either the tube flare is bad, or the inlet fitting in the carb is bad.

easy fix, either replace the tube nut and re-flare the end, or replace the inlet fitting.

THERE IS NO SEALANT OR SEALING WASHER.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys - yeah it was already butchered so not a lot I can do there.

I'll check the flare and inside the inlet of the carb - much appreciated for the help - likely another £50 spent with volvo.

Cheers

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks guys - yeah it was already butchered so not a lot I can do there.

I'll check the flare and inside the inlet of the carb - much appreciated for the help - likely another £50 spent with volvo.

Cheers
its a holley carb, why pay 3X to get the part thru volvo?

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woah, great find Scott - I'm in the UK so parts like this are more difficult to source.

Is there any thoughts to cutting the end off the fuel line, using a flaring tool with a new nut over buying a new fuel line etc.

The question is, does anyone know the size of the nut required and which type of flaring tool is it double etc - I have the flaring too so could save it here.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Woah, great find Scott - I'm in the UK so parts like this are more difficult to source.

Is there any thoughts to cutting the end off the fuel line, using a flaring tool with a new nut over buying a new fuel line etc.

The question is, does anyone know the size of the nut required and which type of flaring tool is it double etc - I have the flaring too so could save it here.

Thanks
if my buddy Jock in Scotland can buy Holley parts in europe, you should be able to as well. BTW, you will get faster service from many sites than I do in the states for some reasons. both Summit Racing and Rockauto will ship to the UK

the fuel line is simply a 3/8" metal line, commonly used as a brake line. the fittings are SAE inverted flare. the fuel line is about $10 US and will be about 10X that thru volvo

measure first, should be a 3/8" tube, the inverted flare thread is 5/8-11. its a brass inverted flare nut, however you can use plated steel. just put a bit of paint on it. its a double flare

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Sierra sells flexible pressure rated fuel lines with flared fittings at both ends. Two different lengths available. Plug and play

As stated, order carb parts direct from Holley

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi both,

Thanks for the info here, I'm hopefully with the boat this weekend to carry out further works and will check over everything and then place the order.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Finally with the boat this weekend, the flare looked quite good:

1656325642224.png

The inlet to the carb looked fine too:

1656325705422.png

btw which way up does this fuel filter sit? I looked at countless diagrams and not one showed it in detail. I put this back together with with the filter flipped into the inlet nut, then spring ontop and pushed in.

Unfortunately I didn't get time to test but everything went back in smoother, hoping for good results on start up.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bump this up, wondering if anyone knew which way round this little filter went?

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bump this up, wondering if anyone knew which way round this little filter went?

Thanks
I would throw that filter away as you should have the fuel/water filter upstream.

however the hollow conical part goes against the incoming stream of fuel, the spring holds it against the fitting.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott.

I'm not certain the 3.0 VP engine has a fuel/water separation filter elsewhere, I haven't come across this. I could be wrong.

Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Post up a pic of what you have. Some of the 3.0 mechanical fuel pumps had a small filter built in & some had the large canister filter added on. If you have a canister style water separating fuel filter it will look like an oil filter…

Status
Not open for further replies.