Volvo Penta Ford help

JPsanta

Cadet
bought a boat with a 8 cylinder ford in it , not sure the year or horse power , no tags on motor that i can find , has a volvo penta stern drive , nothing on it either the boat is a 1979 thats all i know HELP

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. It will be a Windsor 5.0 or 5.7/351/5.8 or close by. The 5.7 in those days was likely called a AQ240 or something like that. Commonly used in some mastercraft of the era too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
AQ190A or AQ240A

The motor and drive are the least of the problems with a 45 year old boat

PAG-VB

Recruit
bought a boat with a 8 cylinder ford in it , not sure the year or horse power , no tags on motor that i can find , has a volvo penta stern drive , nothing on it either the boat is a 1979 thats all i know HELP
Back in the 70's Volvo Penta distributors would sell "loose" ourdrive assemblies and a boat builder or engine marinizer could put together their own power packages. For example, I owned a 26' Omega (small FL sportboat buider) with a Volvo Penta drive coupled with a Commander (Ford 351- based) marine engine. The engine was factory painted dark blue and the exhaust manifolds were actually aluminum. Chris-Craft also packaged their own (GM based) engines with Volvo Drives. That all stopped in the early 1980's when Volvo stopped selling loose drive components. You may well have one of these early hybrid packages. Pictures would certainly help. Also, the Volvo drive itself is probably a Model 270 or possibly a 280. Goolge the images - They are easily identified by the different exhaust port on the cav plate.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
A then there were thr Holman Moody conversions. I had the good fortune to talk to Ray Moody years ago at his shop in Charlotte, NC. He told me it was a crazy time and they were shipping the Ford/Volvo packages as fast as they could get them out of their Florida shop. Ford was cutting them some good prices.

PAG-VB

Recruit
A then there were thr Holman Moody conversions. I had the good fortune to talk to Ray Moody years ago at his shop in Charlotte, NC. He told me it was a crazy time and they were shipping the Ford/Volvo packages as fast as they could get them out of their Florida shop. Ford was cutting them some good prices.
I forgot about the Holman Moody conversions - They were quite popular and IIR Donzi used them in the old "Sweet 16" hull. HM was getting some substantial power out of the old 289 small block - upwards of 280+ HP. Those old Volvo drives could easily handle the power.