VOLVO PENTA FLYWHEEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARMINE326

Cadet
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE FORD PART# FOR A 5.0 FLYWHEEL(THAT WILL FIT ON A 1995 VOLVO PENTA ENGINE). WHAT IS THE DIFFEENCE BETWEEN MARINE AND AUTOMOTIVE IN THIS SITUATION? OR DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THIS PART?

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: VOLVO PENTA FLYWHEEL

I show Volvo Part # 3853953 List at $466.97 Buy at $396.92. As to a FoMoCo crossover part # I don't have one..<br /><br />Roger

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello <br /> why do you need a complete flywheel? <br /> and are you positive this is a 5.0 ford and not a 5.0 gm?<br /> good luck and let us know

CARMINE326

Cadet

DO NOT NEED COMPLETE FLYWHEEL, CAN USE JUST RING GEAR AND DUST COVER. IT IS A FORD 302 THAT USES AN AUTOMATIC STARTER. WAS WONDERING WHY THE FLYWHEEL IS OVER $300 FOR A MARINE AND $70 FOR AUTOMOTIVE. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM, DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE COUPLER AND THE STUDS THAT MOUNT ON THE FLYWHEEL?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

The flywheels for auto and marine are the same, marine is painted. Take your old wheel to a Ford parts counter, count the teeth, diameter of wheel, internal or external balance. Buy the new wheel, replacing the ring gear will be expensive.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br />yes someplace on that flywheel is a motorsports number. most marine applications use the manual shift flywheel not a flexplate. the starter ring gear is not terrible to replace but I still like to change the flywheels. I know that over the years ford has used at least 3 different balencings for the 302 depending on the crakshaft forging number.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Bondo

Staff member

I don't believe what I'm reading here.......<br />If the Only Problem is a Chewed Ring gear, Just Replace It....<br />Once the Flywheel is off lay it on the Flat/Aft side down.... With a Hammer + Punch, Drive the Ring Gear off Evenly.... New Ring Gears are about $20. at auto parts stores... Get 1 + put it into your Kitchen Oven, Heat to 450*.... Remove,+ Drop it into place.....<br />That's It......<br />Go Reinstall your Flywheel......<br /><br />I see No Reason What So Ever to Replace the Flywheel.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep what Bondo said will work. just make sure the new gear is square to the crank mating surface. good luck and keep posting :)

Capt Ken

Commander

Can't believe some of ya'll are telling this guy to buy another flywheel. Like the others said, replacing the ring gear is soooooo simple and easy. An oven is OK, but a simple torch will do it faster. Heat it up a bit, don't take a whole lot, drop it on and be sure it seats against the ridge. Just take the old ring gear down to the auto parts store to be sure of the tooth count. Old mechanic's trick was to reverse the gear if it was only worn on one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.