Volvo Penta DuoProps on twin AQ 145s?

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice
I have a friend at the Oregon coast who has twin AQ 145s w/ SPs in a single station 26 footer, 1979 vintage. Are any of you running twin DPs behind a pair of 145s? If so, what is your input on performance vs the cost? <br />I know that they add much performance to twin V-8s in the 1.95:1 ratio as I have experienced on my personal boat. I have heard that the gain on the 145s (with correct ratio) is not all that great. Any thoughts from an experienced owner who has done this would be appreciated. Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta DuoProps on twin AQ 145s?

Way too much prop for a 4 cylinder engine. Just not enough HP to make it worth the expense.

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta DuoProps on twin AQ 145s?

Don, Isn't that the truth...... you are correct, never enough time the first time around. I guess Trojan thought those little engines would be enough for that size boat. They are great little engines and last forever.<br />I am going to recommend that he sell the AQ 145's (one is factory new, never even fired yet) and rework his transom and install a single V-8 w/ DP drive. We are doing another one this Spring.... same exact scenario. <br />Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. <br />Rick @ RicardoMarine, Portland.