Volvo Penta Controls for a Trophy 2359???

KetchiMan

Seaman
Hey all,
I've got a 2004 Trophy 2359 and I'm spapping out my 5.0L merc for a Volvo 300-B (info in pic below).

It's clear that I need new controls and I've gathered that the lengths of the throttle and shift cables are pretty important. (The cable lengths are different from the merc, as the merc shift cable terminates on the engine, while the volvo shift cable goes down to the outdrive)

We tried to measure out how long we "think" the cables should be (17-18 feet on the throttle, 19-20 on the shift) but that's FAR from exact.

Also, to make things more interesting, I'm way up here in Ketchikan AK and everything has to get shipped here (and if it's the wrong length... shipped back...)

If anybody has the 2359 with a volvo package, or has done this job, I'd love to find out what you know.

Thanks!

1609005277497.png

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The throttle cable should be close to the same size.
The shift cable, add 4-5ft.
You can always hide the extra cable but they won't strech
the 3 extra inches if too short.
1-2 long won't hurt anything.
Changed throttle/shift(wore out) cables on a 21ft. The were 10ft.
too long. They worked ok just looped under the deck.

The longer they are can cause poor shifting, they work but not as good as they should.
You can check ebay for shifters. Just make sure they are close to the year.

kenny nunez

Captain
Bayliner usually rigged their boats with “generic” control boxes which use the Morse style 3300 series of cable. How about a picture of the control box end of the original cables.