Volvo Penta/Chris Craft "Q" series (PIC)

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are these backwards engines something to stay away from? Is it hard to re-configure them to normal VP layout? If you have a bad motor, can you just drop in another SB chev and be done with it?. Early 1970s vintage.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta/Chris Craft "Q" series (PIC)

38384jpg2.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can ya post a pic or let us know if its a Vdrive or outdrive< its possible that the volvo was installed later. at that point in history chris craft marinized a lot of their own stuff and had one model of the SBC with a dist mounted in the chris craft timing cover and drove the transmission from the harmonic balancer end of the crank and the accesories off the flywheel end.<br /> I thought most were gone by the mid sixties though.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if all the Bolts ons are in good shape about any SBC until 85 or so will work, to change to the 400 will require the 400 flywheel and balancer and may run into a starter issue and for the 85 and later onepiece rear main motors will require a flywheel change and a different oil pan and valve covers but nothing insurmountable.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

What was the reasoning for this setup? The volvo will spin either way.Why not a reverse rotation?

Capt Ken

Commander

Cus way back yonder, CC still had the old thinking that all engines should turn clockwise from the stern. That and they had a butt load of these Q series left over from the 60's. If the engine is running fine, leave it alone. If its the 327 then its 60's vintage. 307's was used in the early 70's. Even up in the late 70's, in the standard setup, they used counter-rotation engines to turn the prop to the right. That's got to be a fresh water boat to be that clean of an engine.<br />Is it in a Lancer?

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Lancer yes.The boat "smerc" is interested in has the same config as in the pic,different boat.Other than bellhousing, intermediate and motor mounts.Anything different with the transom shield or outdrive? Still 1:61 right?He is possibly interested in a purchase and doing his homework for a 350"strait" :D drop in

Capt Ken

Commander

Once upon a lifetime ago, had one of these. Lucky for me, never pulled the engine so the snout mounted on the front of the engine (which is pointed rearward) is greek to me. I have no idea if the transom shield is standard Volvo or some type of adaptation from CC.<br />Now for the bad news, this should have been posted last week since I cleaned out my manual shelf last week and I remember throwing out an old manual on the Q series engines. Always a day late and a dollar short.