Volvo Penta bell housing question

Duck69

Recruit
Good morning all…. I have a question regarding Volvo Penta bell housings.
My daughter and I just picked up a 2004 VP DP-SM outdrive and transom plate assembly for a ‘84 Albemarle boat build we’re doing. However the gentleman had already sold the bell housing, flywheel and flex plate.
Which VP model bell housings will interchange or work with the VP DP-SM models?

It’s being paired to a 2004 5.7 VP GSI longblock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My daughter and I just picked up a 2004 VP DP-SM outdrive and transom plate assembly for a ‘84 Albemarle boat build we’re doing. However the gentleman had already sold the bell housing, flywheel and flex plate.
first, per the rules you read to sign up for this site, there is no buying or selling or soliciting

second, welcome aboard

third, if your '84 had an Aquamatic drive, you need to either rebuild the transom, or you need to find the ultra-rare and ultra expensive AQ to SX transom assembly.

so, what drive was in the boat?
what drive do you want to go on the boat?
then, do you have all the items for the DP-SM? will need to be prop to pulley.

suggest you search the parts list. www.volvopentastore.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Which VP model bell housings will interchange or work with the VP DP-SM models?

It’s being paired to a 2004 5.7 VP GSI longblock.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... When talkin' boat motors, 'n drives, the pieces you need are called The flywheel, flywheel cover, 'n drive coupler,...

The bellhousing is outside the boat, between the outer transom plate/ housing, 'n the outdrive,....
It's the piece that allows the drive to go up, 'n down,....

Scott's got ya covered on yer questions,...... ;)

Duck69

Recruit
first, per the rules you read to sign up for this site, there is no buying or selling or soliciting

second, welcome aboard

third, if your '84 had an Aquamatic drive, you need to either rebuild the transom, or you need to find the ultra-rare and ultra expensive AQ to SX transom assembly.

so, what drive was in the boat?
what drive do you want to go on the boat?
then, do you have all the items for the DP-SM? will need to be prop to pulley.

suggest you search the parts list. www.volvopentastore.com
Good evening, the '84 Albemarle had a AQ-280. We do have the transom bracket, exhaust Y pipe, upper, lower unit, and F5 props, along with the GSI engine.
Not necessarily looking to "buy or sell" on here, really needing you fine fellas vast VP knowledge for the correct part numbers to the parts we need. The transom is being stripped along with the stringers and bulkheads already.
Thank you,

Duck69

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... When talkin' boat motors, 'n drives, the pieces you need are called The flywheel, flywheel cover, 'n drive coupler,...

The bellhousing is outside the boat, between the outer transom plate/ housing, 'n the outdrive,....
It's the piece that allows the drive to go up, 'n down,....

Scott's got ya covered on yer questions,...... ;)
Thanks for the info!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to ask yourself, are you keeping the AQ280 drive or are you going with the SX drive.

If you keep the 280 drive, you need a Volvo Penta AQ series V8 PDS housing.

If you keep the SX drive, you either need a conversion housing, or you have to rebuild your transom