Volvo Penta AQ131 W 275 Outdrive.

hello to all thanks for taking time to read trying to find out if i have a water pump in my stern drive im not getting water to engine for some reason have checked all the things i can think of ,replaced impeller checked for clogs in lines and hoses new engine with all new water pumps and hoses and new raw water pump, ..is there away to check to see if water is getting in there instead of running it hot ,because i know not to do this,,I've tried taking hose off at stern drive to see if it was picking up water out of drum full of water..seen nothing coming out hose so i thought must be water pump in the drive to pick up out of lake ..?? right?? it is a Volvo Penta AQ131 W 275 Outdrive. 1986 bayliner 19 ft had a 305 now a 350v8,,any one know if i have a water pump to pick up lake water in stern,,seems logical ,,confused and lost...lol Tru Blu:facepalm:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ131 W 275 Outdrive.

Volvo has never had a raw water pump in any of their drives.
Sounds to me like you have an air leak somewhere between the drive and the raw water pump on the engine.
You say you replaced the impeller in it, did you replace the gasket on the pump? How about the seal in the pump on the shaft? The intake tube on the pump may have a leaky seal, or a clamp loose on the hoses going to and through the transom.

Well thanks for answering,, so the water pump on the crank draws the water off lake to engine and water pump on engine circulates the water thur engine? and i did put new gasket on pump when i changed impeller,, but pump was new so didnt change on shaft,,clamps all tight on hose going thur transom...

klyons20

Recruit

Make sure all clamps are tight if any part of the system is letting air come in then it can not suck water up to the pump. And also check your impella inside the pump