Volvo Penta AQ125a can't start

firjang

Recruit
Hi everyone:

I have exactly the same situation in Early sep this year I bougt a boat with Volvo AQ125A engine. It works at the sellers home , once I get it home for whole month I was never able to start it once.

I have checked everything I have known,
1. battery is good 12.5 volt idle, 11 volt cranking.
2. all spark plug has spark
3. pull spark plug it is wet.
4. oil has 40PSI (when cranking the starter for 15sec)

not sure what else I can do to get the engine started.

And winter is comming how can I winterize if the engine is not running. if anyone can help ?

-DesperateBoater

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ125a can't start

2. all spark plug has spark

Is it bright blue spark? Pull the coil wire out of the distributor and hold the wire about 1/2" from a good clean ground and crank the engine. You should have a bright blue spark jumping. If not, you have a problem.

3. pull spark plug it is wet.

Hopefully that means it's wet with gas and not water. If gas, that indicates it's flooding. May be because of weak spark. bad timing. Etc. Try holding the throttle wide open (no pumping) and see if it will finally fire and run.

firjang

Recruit

Thanks Don:

I used a spark tester, there are 2 pointy screws (so the gap is adjustable). I adjust it to ~1/4" and the spark is redish and yellowish.

Dose the spark has to be bright and blue ? in my case, dose my spark consider weak? 1 month ago the boat can start easily at the sellers house. Can you suggest my course of action from this point, if the spark is weak.

Thanks in advance.

-Roland

Don S

Re spark is no good. Open your spark gap tester to about a half inch, it should be blue, if not, it's weak and time to find out why. For a test, get a point file (any auto parts store) and file the points a few strokes and see if the spark is better. If it is, you need new points. You will need new points either way, cause the old ones after being filed won't last long. Also replace the condenser and make sure that it's tight on the distributor. It needs a good ground.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Don,

Just let me know when we get to the timing belt in this thread ;)

M

odannyboy

Recruit

Well I live up in Alaska and just went though the not starting, changed out the plugs cap rotor and all that, tested spark, and it was getting gas. Compression was all over 100psi.
After 4 days of working on things I figured out that the timing was off, has to be because of the OHC drive belt being good and worn out and thru the timing off enough to not start.
Had to work on it till it started to get anitifreeze in her.
AQ125A, 1982, SINGLE BARREL CARB, 115HP AT 4800PRM
SO NOW I GOT THE WINTER TO REPLACE THE BELT WATER PUMP AND REBUILD OR GET A NEW CARB. WHERE EVER I CAN FIND PARTS

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

The only time I had trouble starting my AQ131A was when I took it to
another location a few hours away. The weather system is different there,
and I went through a rain downpour on the way. Between the rain and
the heavy fogs, moisture got into the distributor, and I mean it was actually
wet inside the cap. To get it running, I had to wipe out the moisture,
clean the points, and actually let it air dry awhile before it would start.

I ended up changing the cap, points, and rotor, anyway, and haven't had
that problem since. From that experience, I learned the VP AQ motor
needs to be kept dry, and at least covered, if not stored inside.

Great engines, with good power combined with fantastic fuel efficiency.

firjang

Recruit

Thanks everyone:

To update my story. I have did all the simple test and spark seem weak. Since its getting colder. I finally gave in and dragged the boat to a mechanics. They suggested a tune up then do timing belt replacement. To my supprise the price tag is high. This year the work is tough I try to tie down the budget, a repair like that post a big pain.

The wether in NJ is going below 29F next week. I am trying to expore more optionss to keep the boat safe:

1. will this temperature will freeze up and damage my engine (fresh water inside).
2. is there easy way to winterize the engine without running the engine (some cheaper temporary solution for this winter).
3. what is a reasonable price for (a) tune up (b) timing belt change.

Don S

Won't even go into prices. So much depends on access to your engine, how rusty and corroed everything is, what the labor rate is, and the list goes on.
Your raw water system can be drained, and as long as the antifreeze in the fresh water side is ok, your engine will be ok.
You can always get the manual and do the work yourself.
Here is a link you can download the manual for your engine at.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/55815583/fad4e100/AQ125145_AB_Service_Manual.html

Trust me, ole Mike (mcleaves) can change those belts with his eyes closed. He likes to change them even though they are perfect and installed properly. He just enjoys the pain I guess. Right Mike :p :p ;)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Won't even go into prices. So much depends on access to your engine, how rusty and corroed everything is, what the labor rate is, and the list goes on.
Your raw water system can be drained, and as long as the antifreeze in the fresh water side is ok, your engine will be ok.
You can always get the manual and do the work yourself.
Here is a link you can download the manual for your engine at.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/55815583/fad4e100/AQ125145_AB_Service_Manual.html

Trust me, ole Mike (mcleaves) can change those belts with his eyes closed. He likes to change them even though they are perfect and installed properly. He just enjoys the pain I guess. Right Mike :p :p ;)

I was gonna stay out of this one but.. Well... Oh wait, I hear the wife calling ;)

While Don is smart not to quote prices, I will say this; if access is OK and the pulleys are serviceable and things aren't completely rusted up, an idiot (i.e. ME), can do it in about 45 minutes.

If your pulleys are junk I probably have some laying around :)

BTW, for the record I was tracking down a fuel flow problem during that exercise, so of course it made perfect sense. How else would I have found that loose clamp on the gas tank???? It was a perfect trouble shooting path! :D

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

M