Volvo penta 5.7 no start

Bill Ho

Recruit
I have a 2007 Monterey 220EX 5.7 GIG. Last season I posted about having issues with my boat having a no start problem. I got replies about the fuel cell and have ruled that out, because I can still hear the pump running and have tested the fuel pressure and it was at 55 PSI. I'm still having the same issue. When I shut off the engine and try to restart the engine it will crank but will not start. I took my boat out this morning and after about an hour of running it, it started acting up. I ran it hard up and down the lake about 5 times and stopped and shut off the engine. About 10 minutes later I went to start it and it wouldn't start. At that time I tested for spark and found no spark. After 20 minutes of checking the engine compartment out it started. After it started I disconnected the module and it acted the same way as it does when the engine won't start, making me think it would be the module. This kind of makes me wonder if it's getting too hot in the engine compartment and I need to add another blower (this is something another person mentioned in my previous post). This has happened previously upon start up when the engine was cold, and sometimes it can take up to an hour for it to restart again.When the engine doesn't start there is no spark and I believe no fuel signal. Which leads me to believe it's the distributor pick up, ignition control module, or ECM. I have ruled out the engines electrical components and the fuel pump, but I'm not sure where to go next because this problem only occurs on the water. I cannot get it to duplicate with muffs on so taking it to the shop hasn't worked because they don't know what's wrong with it. Any insight would be helpful, thank you!

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is not much more than a stab in the dark, but my V-P 5.0L GXiB had intermittent start problems a couple seasons back. After MUCH troubleshooting, the problem was found to be a cracked rotor in the ignition system. It had just been replaced. The part was either bad out of the box, or damaged during installation. After replacing it, zero problems since.

gnathv

Cadet
Do the modules use heat sink compound to draw heat off of modules. If so remove module, clean and apply new heat sink compound. Just a thought.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Adding a blower isn't going to fix anything - everything that needs to be cooled, is cooled by water. Have you checked the cap and rotor - I have seen some really bad ones, and they act up with heat and when you put a load on it, which will put more of a load on the module causing it to heat up.

Last edited:

Bill Ho

Recruit
One thing I forgot to mention this engine has 56 hours on it. That's part of the reason I'm so mind blown, I shouldn't be having this problem with such a new engine. I talked to the dealer this morning and they said they would start with the crank sensor.