Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-F Problems... water getting in oil system

AJR1968

Recruit
We have a 2005 rinker 262 bowrider with the volvo penta gxi-f engine. 480 hours on motor. We were out on Lake Michigan when the engine died. I tried all the simple parts, coil, IAC, Cap & rotor, sensor and so on. It wound up being the gear at the bottom of the distributor. About 5 of the bevel teeth were sheared flat. The motor jumped timing and would not run. Replaced distributor gear and timed and it started right up. Though that it was fixed. Engine started right up but now if have water and oil dripping from the bottom of the sea water pump. I ran engine on garden hose for about 20 seconds before I noticed. Somehow all the the water from garden hose ended up in my oil system. I removed the belt and sea water pump but everything looks good. Just need to know if anyone else has had this issue and maybe some pointers in the right direction. Thank you.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you did a lot of cranking attempting to start it on the muffs or in the water, you may have sucked up water through the exhaust system. I would remove the plugs to check for water in the cylinders. The fact that it started and ran blew out any that was there and wasn't enough to hydrolock it. If the cylinders are dry, flush the oil by changing out the oil and filter and run the boat for 15 min and do this again 2wice more. This should get all the water out of the system. Hopefully you'll have good oil the next day with no milkiness and all is well. If you have water in the cylinders now after the boat has run, you have some bigger fish to fry. Good luck

AJR1968

Recruit
I did remove the plugs and crank over to ensure no water in cylinder. I read something about 2 o rings on the sea water pump. One to keep water in and 1 for separating oil?? I can honestly say this think is kicking my rear end! lol I see a plate behind the sea water water pump that looks to have an o ring. I'm hoping I can remove that and see whats going on. I'm really hoping to get lucky and see something simple but I am nervous its something more serious. Thank you for your help.

AJR1968

Recruit
I definitely have bigger fish to fry! lol I removed all 8 spark plugs and also the sea water pump to access the balancer on front of motor to turn the crank. And.. No go. That motor is locked up.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Has the drive been pulled,..?? it's splined to the crankshaft,......