Volvo Penta 5.0 L, no more then 2,700 rpm

tec_dude1987

Cadet
I have a 1995 Volvo Penta 5.0 L Fuel Injected, Ford engine. It will not run faster then 2,700 rpm in forward gear or neutral. I have brought it to two mechanics. They have made a few calls to Volvo's technical help. The fuel pressure is 30 psi. All the sensors on the engine have been tested, the Electronic Engine Controller has been replaced and there is no codes listed in the computer.<br /><br />I don't know what to do or where to go next. Any input would be appreciated.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0 L, no more then 2,700 rpm

What does it do when it hits 2700RPM, does it pulsate or does it hold steady at 2700RPM? DOes it do it both in neutral and forward, even in the water. Are the RPMs eaxactly the same in both senarios?

tec_dude1987

Cadet

When it gets to 2700 rpm it pulsates, it does that in neutral in the water as well. It is like the rev limiter is limiting it. It is at the same rpms every time.

bug_flicker

Cadet

have you tried turning off the key for 30 sec then restarting it? gradually power up the engine 100 rpm at a time to the point of losing power then back off slowly to idle, turn off key, wait 30 sec and try again, slowly powering up to the stop point, you could have a computer issue that kicks the engine into s.l.o.w mode it is a protection program built into the ecu unit. i had the same problem, but only under a load, it would rev to the moon out of the water or in neutral. but under a load it would want to shut down into slow mode at 2500 rpm, i learned to bypass it by resetting the computer by shutting it off and restarting, it is currently in the shop being fixed now,

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

It does sound like the rev limiter is engaging to limit RPMs. Did you overheat or run low on oil, etc? Any new components added to your boat, such as a tach? When the engine is running does the coolant come up to proper temperature? Is there good oil pressure?

tec_dude1987

Cadet

Thanks for the good ideas but neither worked. Feel free to share any others.<br />Thanks

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need a scanner. Need to watch the spark advance up to 2700, and see what happens. Same with injector pulse widths. You need to find out if its pulling back spark or fuel, and why.<br /><br />Seems a lot of boat mechanics are good at work on boat specific stuff, but when it comes to engines they're lost. I dunno why. I had a conversation this morning with a guy whos owned a boat dealership for like 20 years. I explained to him how it took me 15 minutes to change a bearing on the outdrive, and how I did it. He couldn't believe I got away without disassembling the whole unit. <br /><br />Where are you located curiously? <br /><br />I can prolly give you a hand troubleshooting your EFI setup, but you'll need access to some diag tools to use my advice.<br /><br />-- Joe

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

keep posting results please. have just zeroed in on speed limiting on my friends carburated volvo 305. this is posted on WILL NOT GO OVER 3200 RPM. book says to disconnect the speed limiting but does not tell how.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

let me throw this out also, i think it is worth looking at. after awhile my friends motor would go from 3200 rpm to idle and stay there till the next day. still looking for something simple, i pulled the dip tube in the fuel tank pickup and found a finger filter screen in the tube that was pretty well clogged, removed the trash and screen and have so far eliminated the return to no higher than idel problem. old g.m. auto had this problem with the TEA BAG on the fuel pick up in the tank. fix then was to blow the thing off the tube with a blast of compressed air. watching this closely, keep posting. regards fred

tec_dude1987

Cadet

The fuel pressure is good so I don't think the screen is the problem. Anybody else have any ideas?

bug_flicker

Cadet

well i took the boat out today with the mechanics, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump, which was making alot of noise, found some junk in the fuel line to the injector rail, and replaced the water temp sender, seems the water temp sender thought the engine was cold and didnt want to run at full rpm ( safety feature).. the boat sat all night and was cold when we started it in the river, i ran it at 2000 rpm till the water temp came up to 150. when she was good and warm i floored it and instantly it ran up to 5200 rpm (rev limiter kicked in) i put about an hour on it at 4000 rpm and it never missed a beat. when we got back to the dock we put the code reader on it and no codes so looks like we are fishing this weekend,, hope this helps. bug

nms1991

Cadet

check your fuel pressure again it should be 39 psi + or - 3 psi at wot if it drops too much at wot it starves engine. There is only two sensors that will kick it into slow mode they are the low oil pressure switch and over heat switch. The low oil pressure switch is located on the side with the oil filter it should look like a mushroom shape with a wire comming out of the top. The overheat sensor is located in the intake and on the port side near the front by the distributor. Try diconnecting the low oil pressure switch first and run the boat if it runs fine than it is that switch, but if you disconnect the overheat switch make sure both wires on the sensor are connected to each other other wise it will give you a false reading. By the way the ford eec I/V system does not have a data output for a scan tool like GM based systems you have to use a star tester to check for codes.

gisxr750

Cadet

does it have 30 psi at wot i am having the same problem with my efi my dealer had me order a low pressure pump to see if that is it i have good pressure until i put it under a load it drops to zero he sad they have more problems with the low pressure pump so we will see.i will post on thursday when i get the pump on. i am going nuts to

Went out with our (new to us) 1995 Four Winns Horizon with Volvo Penta 5.0 for second trip this past Saturday. We weren't out more than half hour when we noticed the boat was smoking badly. We turned off the engine quickly. The plastic rings were burning. Every boat around came to help. Boat mechanic towed us back - said it may just be impeller? Any suggestions from all of you experienced boaters? :confused: Oh, our first short trip - engine was hesitating or missing? Called mechanic and he said it was probably bad gas and to run it through??