volvo penta 5.0 Ford engine knocking.

blakeallen

Recruit
Hey, me and my buddy picked up a hurricane fundeck boat with a 5.0 volvo penta as a project boat. When we got the boat it needed a starter. We put the starter on and it fired up, but has a bad knocking sound. It sounds like a rod bearing knock, but it comes and goes randomly through the rpm range. What would be the cheapest way to fix it? Are there any reputable rebuild kits out there? Also if we got a long block from a junkyard, what engine would i be looking for? ex. a mustang, bronco. Im not so familiar with ford engines as I am Chevy. I dont want to buy a engine and then the manifolds and acc. not bolt up. Also is there anything on these boats that would cause a knocking sound that we could rule out before we pull the engine?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
A Ford 302 (5 liter) is the engine you need but make sure to check the firing order on the intake manifold because I recall there were some differences from the auto versions vs the marine versions. These engines came in Mustangs, Full Size Fords & Mercuries, even Lincoln Town cars up untill the newer 4.6 OHC engines came on the scene (1991 or so)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you want a truck version as the car variants have the wrong cam.

however make sure its not u-joint knock or something else.

so pull the drive first

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm with Scott. A rod knock doesn't go away. Does it sound like it's in the front or back of the engine. Back could mean u-joint or coupler or other things. Front could be balancer or timing chain. Sometimes bad lifters make noise at different temps and rpm and oil pressure.

blakeallen

Recruit
Thanks for the answers. its coming from the back of the engine the best I can tell. You can hear it from behind the boat at the outdrive, but it is way louder in the engine compartment. I plan on pulling the outdrive and cranking it to rule out those things before pulling the engine.