Volvo Penta 4.3 SX motor miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

summertime

Cadet
Engine runs great for 10-15 min but then bogs down like it's not getting fuel. Once it starts doing this I can drop to idle and go to plane but then it quickly stops again. Replaced fuel filter and installed carb kit but nothing changed. Thought that possibly fuel pump or coil may have a heat problem! Any ideas?

summertime

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 SX motor miss

Thanks for info! I'm definitely not a mechanic but my engineering background has me trying to isolate the conditions in which the problem occurs! Have'nt done any troubleshooting yet! Took boat out today for ~ 45 min and ran at 3000 rpm with two people with no problems. Therefore problem occurs when 4-5 people in boat pulling 3 people on a tube at 3000 rpm for 15-20 min when motor starts misfiring to the point it want hardly run. If I let it sit for awhile I can go for another 10 minutes or so before the problem re-occurs. That's why I thought the problem maybe heat related i.e. problem doesn't occur until motor has run awhile under heavy load. I thought that may help determine if it is an electrical problem or a fuel problem or an electric prob causing fuel starvation. I had a similar prob with car where mechanic rebuilt carb, changed plugs, etc but car ran poorly after warm up and problem was a faulty fuel pump.

summertime

Cadet

Today I replaced the fuel filter. Didn't appear to have any water in the gas. Started motor but it quickly quit. Fuel filter had no gas in it. Checked voltage at the fuel pump and it was 9-10 volts while attempting to start motor. Does this imply that the fuel pump is bad?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you replace a fuel filter on an engine with an electric fuel pump, you need to put some new gas in the filter to prime it.

Status
Not open for further replies.