Volvo Penta 4.3 repair manual

jamesbaker73

Recruit
I'm sure that this has been asked several times...but, what is the best repair manual to get for a 1999 4.3L Volvo Penta motor and outdrive? I tried searching through the treads but couldn't find anything recent.

Thanks

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
not quite the same, but I just picked up a set of factory manuals for my 1995 OMC Cobra 4.3 (Volvo SX with an identity crisis) on Ebay.... General consensus is that factory is best, and to stay away from SELOC and Haynes.... where to get the factory books, well, thats a bit of a conundrum. I dont mind used, so Ebay it was.... Books werent "cheap" but will pay for themselves over the life of the boat.

jamesbaker73

Recruit
not quite the same, but I just picked up a set of factory manuals for my 1995 OMC Cobra 4.3 (Volvo SX with an identity crisis) on Ebay.... General consensus is that factory is best, and to stay away from SELOC and Haynes.... where to get the factory books, well, thats a bit of a conundrum. I dont mind used, so Ebay it was.... Books werent "cheap" but will pay for themselves over the life of the boat.
I saw a set of Workshop books for my motor on Ebay. They were over $200. I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on it, yet. I didn't know if I wanted to pay that much for them...or if they were worth that much.

ScottinAZ

for my OMC, I paid about $125 for the set. If you look, you can find good deals, but in the end, the factory manuals are the gold standard.... if you want real sticker shock, search for some of the sites that sell them "new"....

jamesbaker73

Recruit
for my OMC, I paid about $125 for the set. If you look, you can find good deals, but in the end, the factory manuals are the gold standard.... if you want real sticker shock, search for some of the sites that sell them "new"....
I'm not sure if this is what I need? Mine isn't fuel injected. So, I don't really know if I need the EFI book since mine is carbureted.

ScottinAZ

that appears to be a "full set" I didnt get the EFI books, but I also bought them all separately for more $$$ (I saw a full set after I had bought 3 of 4 individually..... duh). had I to do it over again, I would have gotten the full set all together like that one. The carburetors should be in the book with Electrical/Ignition/Fuel.... with mine the carbs are in the "fuel" book

jamesbaker73

Recruit
that appears to be a "full set" I didnt get the EFI books, but I also bought them all separately for more $$$ (I saw a full set after I had bought 3 of 4 individually..... duh). had I to do it over again, I would have gotten the full set all together like that one. The carburetors should be in the book with Electrical/Ignition/Fuel.... with mine the carbs are in the "fuel" book
I think that I may have found exactly what I need for around $50.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_180531_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_180531_eBay.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240303_180543_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_180543_eBay.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 3