Volvo Penta 350 Throwing 698 & 699

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a 2008 Volvo Penta 350 running great but occasionally throwing

1. SPN: 698 Engine Coolant Temp Gauge (PWM2)(DTC 1633) FMI: 5 Current Below Normal or Open Circuit
2. SPN: 699 Drive Oil Gauge (PWM3)(DTC 1635) FMI: 5 Current Below Normal or Open Circuit

I've read a few forums saying it might be a bad knock sensor throwing off the other sensors. Should I start there and where is it? Complete engine diagnostic file showing serial numbers have been attached.

Attachments

• Engine Diagnostic.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 10
  • info.jpg
    info.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 8

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
do you have can bus gauges or analog?
post a pic of the back of the gauges

muc

Those codes can go two different directions. So need to know what gauges are installed to know which direction.

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It has a digital screen display instead of the round individual gauges if that tells you anything. Ill be back in a few days.

muc

That is considered can bus.
The codes you posted are saying there is something wrong with the analog gauges === that you don't have.
These codes usually come up as 3 codes. temp, oil pressure and trim.
Why the Diacom report is only listing 2 and one of those shows as drive oil gauge. I don't know, but I see the report lists a 2008 engine when it's a 2016-2017 engine might be part of the reason.
And why some engines with can bus gauges throw these codes and others don't, I don't have an answer for that either.
Either way, you can disregard these codes.
But if you haven't corrected all the over temp codes, that would be a priority.