Volvo Penta 3.0GS Restrictor Plate position on Riser

mikgo61

Cadet
Hey there Y all, First time posting enjoy the forum. So I am reassembling rebuilt motor and am confused about which position to install restrictor plate. The instructions from the manual states
"The slot in the restrictor plate should be positioned out away from the engine block." However the Volvo penta store diagram shows it on the engine block side. Not sure how to install this as there was no restrictor plate there when I took it apart. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 19026_3.png
    19026_3.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 18

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that pic shows 2 gaskets and a block off plate, that will work IF there is a additional cooling hose directly to the elbow. If no additional hose you use 1 gasket only #10

ta79pr

Cadet
I also struggled with this issue. The OMC manual, who makes the engine had diagrams suggesting the slot went port side. However, the Volvo manual stated clearly to install the slot toward the engine and also specifically said in bold to disregard any markings on the restrictor plate. I went with the Volvo manual instructions, screenshot pasted below.
Screenshot_20220725-141231_Drive.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
There different because someone messed up, don't know if it's the manual or the parts list. I would probably go with the manual unless the manual has been revised (newer date).

My opinion VP want's to make sure its not installed top/bottom and can be placed in either position (inside or outside)

mikgo61

Cadet
Thanks to all, I m going to go with the VP manual and install it engine side. Little back story I bought this boat for the aluminum trailer and then discovered it had a rebuilt motor. What could go wrong right?POV said son inlaw said gas got in the oil and flattened camshaft...Well turns out whoever rebuilt motor forgot to put those 2 bolts that hold the camshaft plate in place. Destroyed cam and lifters. I replaced cam and lifters and got it running but water was pouring out of manifold. Found the front freeze plug blown out and laying underneath engine, reinstalled. Boat would not get on plane and it sounded like a diesel! There was no compression on #2 and #3, Did a leak down and air was blowing out #2 when air hooked to #3. Removed head and headgasket was blown out between #2 and #3. So now I m ready to put it all back together and really appreciate your responses.
Thank you again!

ta79pr

Cadet
I am pasting the color cooling system diagram, which in my humble opinion confirms the direction of the slot. Because I was also really confused and just trying to put the darn manifold back together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_113455_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_113455_Drive.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 21

mikgo61

Cadet
Just an update. So Boat did get up on plane near 42 knots a couple of times by myself and seemed to run well except for carb surging up on rpms but would go down by blipping the throttle. The next day took wifey out and got up on plane and then just died and starter didn t engage and had to be towed back. Turns out the starter mounting bolt broke off in the block!
Well this gremlin filled curse of the seas is now someone elses!YAY!
I can now go back to fixing the transom on my prized Grady White 190 tournament! A Happy ending to a journey filled with what is wrong now!
Cheers Mates!