Volvo Penta 3.0 - Fuel lag and shakes

Jgellis

Recruit
Hey ya'll, looking for some help diagnosing this issue. I have an 07' Chaparral with a Volvo Penta 3.0 that was running great until the last time I had it out. I have only had it out 2 times this year about 1 month apart from each other. The issue: Starts fine and runs great with no load. As soon as I put it in drive the engine shakes and bogs. If I run it at full throttle it continues to bog for about 5 minutes and the RPMs stay around 3000, then finally feels like something gets unclogged and runs full speed just fine. We then stop somewhere and swim for a bit. After that it starts fine but same problem happens for about 5 minutes again. I have added fuel injector cleaner to the gas (looked it up and read its ok to use in carburetors) this didn't help. I picked up a fuel filter to change that but haven't installed yet. It just seems weird that a fuel filter would fix a problem that only exists for 5 minutes.

After talking with a boat tech, he said there is something that heats up and opens to allow fuel through??? not sure what this part is but could it be the issue I am having???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start with the basics. Check compression, take a plug reading

Jgellis

Recruit
once it starts going it runs fine until I stop and start again. I checked the choke, closed on cold start and open when warm. I changed the fuel filter and looked at plugs. problem still happening. I have it out now looking over some things. Maybe I'll try distributor next.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take a plug reading

that will tell you if its running rich or lean

do a compression test

then inspect the contents of your fuel filter in a clear container

then look at the ignition system.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
More than likely needs the fuel tank emptied and or carb cleaned. Especially after the mention of only being used 2 times in a year