volvo penta 280 seals

stevenbowen

Recruit
volvo penta aq 131 engine with 280 outdrive.

I got my boat running well, took it for a test it went great. Control box got stuck in reverse and I bumped the outdrive into my brothers pontoon put a little dent in it I got it home and had a look, looks ok.

I had a spare control,by the brand moore. seems good, while I was testing at home I splashed the water out of my tank so I cut it off fill it back up and when I run it again, no suction on my raw water. I thought impeller but checked that its good, its been replaced last year still soft.

eventually I run the water backwards and block off the bottom of out drive and water squirts out where my finger is. My connector is corroded as well.

I've ordered a bunch of seals and bellows, It looks like ill have to take bottom of drive,

Are there any special tools I need for this job?

Also I did have a few raw water leaks but I was able to fix all of them before impeller, I'm not sure how much might impede suction.

any advice and lessons much appreciated, Thanks

Attachments

• my2801.jpg
    my2801.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1
  • my2802.jpg
    my2802.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1
  • my2803.jpg
    my2803.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1

kenny nunez

Captain
From the “bandaid” repair of the driveshaft bellows you have a lot of repairs to do . Get a Genuine Volvo service manual. You need to remove the upper gear housing and replace the bellows and probably the universal joints and maybe the PDF shaft bearing. You will only need some common hand tools and while the engine is metric the AQ drive is not. You will have to drop the lower to replace the “O” ring where you are pointing to the leak.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will need to pull the drive

you will need the factory service manual

you will be buying a fair amount of tools and parts in addition to the seals. the water inlet fitting is a known issue. if you are in fresh water, you will be replacing that every 3 years. if you are in salt water, you will be replacing that fitting every year.

at a minimum to do the U-joint shaft and the input shaft seal, there is also the sealing washer, and shims or the crush washer (depending on the specific serial number of your drive)

BTW, the drive should be coming off every year for inspection of the U-joints and bellows.

stevenbowen

Recruit
Thanks for the info, i'm replacing that connector too, I didn't want to take the top end apart, I guess I will have a look at the ujoints, good thinkin. I think I did order a few seals for that but I think they are just o rings. I might need a few more parts.

I do have the oem manual on computer, I used the Volvo penta site to get all my part numbers.

for the record The bellows were already like that when I got the boat, but I did put it in the water anyway. I can confirm it needs replacing.

thank you