Volvo penta 270 operation

Gone Postal

Cadet
I can't figure out how this lock is unlocked. In stored position I can't get the claw to release so I had to remove brace manually.
While boating I did put in reverse and it locked down in position.
As I loaded it up on trailer I could not get it to manually lift and I guess disengage reverse lock.
What is the procedure to un lock and lift the motor while in the boat, on the water?
I have seen threads on the linkage adjustment.
On the lifting housing I see a motor the size of a starter and a black box on top of that housing. What does it do.
Do I need to have the fwd/rev controls in a certain direction?
Please help. Tim.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo penta 270 operation

That black box and the motor you describe is part of the tilt mechinism.
Mechanical Lift AQ Unit 2.jpg
The presure plate (8) extends out through the transom and pressess down on the suspension fork ( part 9 )
Intermediate Housing.jpg
It makes contact on the upper left side looking at the picture above, where the extension of the fork goes past the pivot point. The reverse lock extends through that contact point ( part 45/46 ). So... when you go to lift your out drive, the tilt presure plate comes down and first makes contact with the reverse lock, to release it, then contiunes down to begin lifting the out drive.

I had similar issues... mine was missing part 46 and was out of adjustment. The PO had a string attached to it. He had some one pull the string to release the lock, then lifted the outdrive using the mechinism fromt he helm.

Hope this helps.

Donnie.