Volvo Part # Crossovers

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm having a heck of a time finding cross over numbers for some tune up parts for my volvo penta. Its a 1985 Bayliner with Volvo AQ125A with 270 drive.

Im looking for the cross over numbers for the following components, its not that i dont want to use genuine volvo parts, i dont want to pay genuine volvo prices. Specially when volvo wants 40 bucks for the distributer cap

Spark Plugs: Volvo #875820-3 (Bosch W6DC)
Wires: Cant find any part number in my books
Distributer Cap: Volvo # 841263-7
Condenser: Volvo # 841262-9
Rotor: Volvo # 243903-2
oil Filter: Volvo 1266286-2 (update found that crosses to Fram PH16)

On my exhaust bellows (i assume its the exhaust bellows)when i take the boat out of the water, water leaks from the bellows and drains my raw water tank to nearly empty, is this normal, the hole appears to have been man mad, meaning is a perfect round hole not a rip or cut. It never seems to affect the running of the boat or nothing, just wondering if this is something i should replace or patch. I plan on running some antifreeze through it, when i opened the draincocks on the tank verly little water trickled out and what did was clean.

I have all the original paperwork for this boat boat owners manual, engine owners manual and neither list crossover numbers.

Thanks for any help its much appreciated.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Part # Crossovers

go to the iboats home page, click on sterndrive parts under engine parts, click on volvo aftermarket parts, click on the part type. Parts are expensive but, you have a quality setup.

Did you just get the Boat? I've had a couple of Volvos.

Hole in the exhaust bellows is common, not sure if its right for your outdrive or not. You should change your ujoint bellows. That is critical!! Every two years it needs replacing.

Sounds like you may need a service manual for you engine and outdrive.

Let us know how your tuneup goes.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for responding with the link. It kinda helped but the list was very vague on some of the parts, such as the belts they didnt list a crossover or a size. I did find spark plug crosses to a Bosch W6DC.

Im not sure if my auto parts place can cross over mallory or not.

I got this boat back in July of 08, its a good running boat and many people told me that i got an extremly good and easy to work on motor. And so far they been right.

For winterizing the heatexchanger should i just pour the antifreeze in it, i can easily pour it into the manifold and have it leak out the bellows, and i can also pour it to go through the raw water system and have it come out the drive problem is i'd feel bad about having antifreeze dump on the ground even if it is the low tox stuff. With the engine it has antifreeze in it and i tested it to -26 i think, our weather has never gotten below the teens. Gonna replace the zinc annodes this year there getting corroded.

The guy who owned put a lot of money into it summer of 07. New bellows, full tune etc, or so he said.

Like i said its not that i dont want to use genuine volvo parts, just can't afford genuine volvo prices specially since the aftermarket stuff is supposed to me OE standards. Like the $116 spark plug wires :eek:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

specially since the aftermarket stuff is supposed to me OE standards.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the aftermarket stuff is NOT up to OEM standards. I have learned that after many "Come Backs" and re-do's because of using aftermarket. But, if you don't count your time and frustration factor in, aftermarket is wonderful.

ziggy

Admiral

think about this. aftermarket is a copy of the oem...... i wonder how close the aftermarket can copy it.... to include materials to make it.... i've got mercrusier... and on many of my replacement parts, i use oem, from the dealer... more expensive, yes. but they just work out better (proper). ain't nothing worse than a job that don't work out because of improperly made parts that cause ya extra grief to a already hard to do job....

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are correct on the quality of some of the OE stuff. I dont go the low end of most OE products. Like i typically dont use autolite plugs and wires (except in lawn mowers). Oil filters i use mostly fram. Sparkplugs i like Bosch. Impellers for the raw water i use volvo, same with bellows, zinc annodes, and with some of the other boat parts. Belts i like the napa belts had good luck with them.

$48 is doable for the plug set, just slowly getting the parts together not gonna do the tune until spring.

Think its ok if i just pour the lotox antifreeze in the exchanger and through the pump system, or should i just flush it through with a bucket and muffs.

When i look at the system i see how it will go from the exchanger cap through the manifold and out the back of the moter into the bellows area, and if i pour right it will go through the area where the water comes into the tank it will go trhough the impeller housing, and out the water pickup on the drive. I remove the impeller during the winter to clean it and replace if needed.

captmello

Captain

I would follow the instuctions in the owners manual. If you still are unsure you may want to start a different thread.

$48 for 4 plugs nuts!!

Good luck.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would follow the instuctions in the owners manual. If you still are unsure you may want to start a different thread.

$48 for 4 plugs nuts!!

Good luck.

oops thats $48 for plug wires, volvo wants over 100, and i think 28 for the plugs themselves.

For flushing book says to remove hose off transom shield use 7/8" id hose in bucket of water and run until mixture is empty then drain.

That kinda sucks but makes sense

captmello

Captain

When you say flushing, what are you doing? Flushing out the salt water? If so you want to flush the entire raw water system. If by flush, you mean adding antifreeze to the raw water system, there are various ways.

I don't think you need any antifreeze if you drain it correctly. However, I have not had a closed system like yours so again I can only refer you to your manual.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say flushing, what are you doing? Flushing out the salt water? If so you want to flush the entire raw water system. If by flush, you mean adding antifreeze to the raw water system, there are various ways.

I don't think you need any antifreeze if you drain it correctly. However, I have not had a closed system like yours so again I can only refer you to your manual.

The manual states to remove the hose of the transom shield add a 7/8 ID hose to it and insert into a bucket with the mixture run the enigne till the bucket is dry, than drain the system.

There is a cap on the top of my heat exhanger were you remove the filter basket to clean it. If i wanted to i could pour anti freeze mixture down there and it would flow through the manifold, and it would also flow through the impeller and out the water intake on the drive.

I'll probably just go with the manual and get a hose. Plus it will give me an excuse to check the bellows.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Those Bosch spark plugs are 1.70 each at Rockauto.com...;)

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those Bosch spark plugs are 1.70 each at Rockauto.com...;)

Neat site, thanks for the link. I like this boating forum wealth of information and helpful people.