Volvo outdrive trim....need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leibin81

Cadet
I bought an 86 Eliminator with a volvo 290 outdrive. Immediately I noticed that the outdrive would sag fairly quickly if I raised it close to the rubber. On the first test drive I noticed that it would sag to full tilt once under load. It was assessed that I had a bad check valve in the hydraulic pump. I replaced my older model Prestolite pump with an Arco replacement pump that is specifically designed to replace the pump I had. The sagging is gone, but I cannot trim the outdrive up under load. The high and low pressure lines are plumbed correctly from the outdrive to the high and low pressure ports on the pump. So, what is the next step? Do I need to pull the rams, and check the seals? Is there a rebuild kit for the rams on an 86 290 outdrive? Any advice is truly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo outdrive trim....need help!

It's not the rams problem, it's probably your pump is defective. Your old pump worked ok for up and down, it just leaked down. Take the pump back and get another one, or get one from Volvo.

leibin81

Cadet

The new pump functions the same as the old one in terms of it will raise and lower the outdrive with no problem (actually a lot faster than the old one). It will hold the tilt/trim angle under load as well. The only deficiency I have now, is it won't trim up under load.

whywhyzed

Banned

pressure is caused by resistance to flow...<br />When do you think the resistance is higher? Sitting on the trailer? Or when pushing 2 tons of boat through the water?<br />The relief valves are in the pump.

leibin81

Cadet

I am aware that the relief valves are in the pump. I also noted in my previous post that I understand the difference in terms of under load or on a trailer. The reason I asked the question, is the manual says if the outdrive gets run up into the rubber stop coninuously that will damage the o-rings or seals on the rams (the rubber stop on this boat is beat up from the previous owner). I wanted to make sure that it wasn't any other issue before I send the BRAND NEW pump back to the company. And I was hoping to get some outside advice. I have much experience with boats, and engines, just not with outdrives as this is my first non-jet boat. It seems that there isn't a check valve problem with the new pump being that there is no sag, and it holds its tilt/trim angle under load. The only failure is when it is put under the utmost stress (raising the outdrive while above 5 mph). This is what has lead me to question if I should check the seals on the rams, before I yank the pump and send it back.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help!!

CaptnJD

Recruit

I don't think that the replacement pump is able to adjust the tilt when under a load. Mine won't til I am at or near idle speed. My pump is only two years old and is already bleeding down under load. Damn BOAThousand... Where and how much did you spend on yours? JD

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is over 3 years old, and leibin81 has not posted since the forum software changed, and that was over 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.