Volvo Outdrive I.D.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting vids. This is the one I watched in a 2 part series.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After removing the 2 socket head bolts from the helmet retainer use two 1/4” X20 bolts to pull the retainer out of the top of the gearbox.
As SD just said you will be will be referring to the drive’s parentage. Especially if the spline shaft is rusted to the female side of the input and will not separate.
Yep! Been there and dealt with that. I hit it with pb blaster periodically for months. One day I just grab it and it came off.
IMG_0583 (1).jpg

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
After removing the 2 socket head bolts from the helmet retainer use two 1/4” X20 bolts to pull the retainer out of the top of the gearbox.
As SD just said you will be will be referring to the drive’s parentage. Especially if the spline shaft is rusted to the female side of the input and will not separate.
Here's a tip I learned. The bolts that hold the shift linkage cover on are the right size to pull the retainer.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We just pulled the drive this afternoon. The shaft slid out with ease and was greasy. The ujoints move smoothly and freely in all directions. One thing I'm stumped by is the water pickup hose doesnt have a clamp on the transom side. It almost appears the hose runs through the transom. Should there be a visible clamp? I didn't get a picture of the hose but found the i.d. tag.

Attachments

• 20230709_161313.jpg
    20230709_161313.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The hose is flared on the end and held in by the power steering cooler

Suggest getting a manual