Volvo Oil Extraction Pump

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class
I?ve decided to change my engine oil myself this year. I boat all year long but I only put 40 hrs on the engine and I only change the oil once a year. I have an early (may 2007) 2008 Regal 2000 w/ a Volvo 5.7 GiSX 280 hp stern drive. The end of the dipstick has what appears to be a male garden hose fitting. I would like to spend south of $125. What do you recommend? I see that Iboats has some electric pumps for around $40. Are these any good? I?m open to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Oil Extraction Pump

How long are the hoses? Looks like you step on foot pegs when pumping.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The hoses to feed into the dipstick tube are 36" long. There is a second hose that goes from the tank to the dipstick hose.

The beauty of this unit is that it doesn't require constant pumping. It is pumped about 5-10 strokes to create a vacuum and the vacuum pulls out the oil. I've only used it one time, but it took about five iterations spaced a few minutes apart to completely withdraw all the oil.

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought one of those oil extraction pumps for my engine. The guy said to use a bit of 3/8" hose and put it over the top of the dipstick - you have to get rid of the 'garden hose connector' first which apparently is pretty simple - mine was already missing. The connection over the top of the dipstick provides a better vaccum than threading a hose through the dipstick apparently.

Worked well for me - 3 pumps of the handle and about 5 minutes later the last of the oil was extracted.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys I ordered the 6.5 liter from Bart?s. They had the best price I could find. Unfortunately Iboats only carries the 4 liter model.