Volvo I/o - Found out the problem... How bad is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianG

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,<br /><br />I am having a boat mechanic look at my boat. He works at the local marina and he does some work on the side. <br /><br />I found out last night that its probably going to be the timing belt. He said that normally when it goes it doesn't effect anything else (normally).<br /><br />Does anybody know how much $$ in parts this would be? Just looking for an idea.<br /><br />how much work is involved with this? I got the 19ft Renken for free and would hate to spend tons of money on it. Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: Volvo I/o - Found out the problem... How bad is this??

BrianG,<br /><br />If it truly is just a T-belt and the engine is of the freewheeling type (meaning valves do not hit pistons) it should fairly reasonable. An average T-belt replacement in a car is about $200.00.

BrianG

Seaman Apprentice

anybody else have any info?

Mish_Mish

Cadet

Volvo 4 cylinder engine does not bend valves and its timing belt is very easy to replace, any car mechanic could do it.<br />It shoud be well within $200 alltogether.

BrianG

Seaman Apprentice

ok, well the guy that was going to do it is dropping my boat back off to me today or so. He doesn't want to do it cause he is affraid of braking the bolts off. He said its not the belt itself. Its actually the idler that puts tension on the timing belt? He said the bearing is toast.<br /><br />Anybody have any info on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.