Volvo Hydraulic trim pump issues

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I am going nuts here. My 97 Blue Water Montecarlo keeps flipping the circuit breaker on the hydraulic trim pump that raises and lowers the stern drive. When I first started trouble shooting I traced the issue to the actual toggle switch in the throttle lever (pic included). I replaced the $13 switch (it says Volvo on it) and everything seemed kosher. It worked flawlessly for about half of a day on the water then it started to trip the circuit breaker on the pump again. I'm at a loss. EVERY marine repair shop wants me to pay $699 plus tax and labor to have them install the "Upgraded" replacement system for the trim pump because Volvo does not make this pump anymore, and I think it is just a weak Circuit breaker. Any help guys?

The pictures are of the toggle switch i found in the throttle assembly before I replaced it and soldiered it and cleaned up the wires. The other two are of the pump.

Attachments

• 2012-06-15_11-32-12_282.jpg
    2012-06-15_11-32-12_282.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 297.jpg
    297.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 298.jpg
    298.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Hydraulic trim pump issues

If all you want is the relay/circuit breaker unit, the number is 3853946, but you are still looking a 250 to 300 dollars for it.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, isn"t there another way? That almost seems preposterous for a small electrical part when the pump sells for $300 more as a complete assembly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't kill the messenger, I don't set prices on this stuff. Sure there is a way around them if you can get some parts together and make a relay harness and fuse it properly so it will do what that box did.

Here is the schematic for that trim system. I actually did one once for a guy, but I had a newer Volvo harness laying around that I sold him . (no I don't have any more). But I will try to find that drawing I gave him to go with the harness so he could hook it to the motor.

Untitled9.jpg

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DON, Thank you so much. I took your advice (and I didnt mean to kill the messenger) and I started tracing the wires out to look at what i needed and I found the culprit. Inside the Throttle control lever the wires were tangled and were grounding out on the metal part of the control levers frame. I found a loop of excess wire, cut the zip ties and pulled it up and through and re soldiered the toggle switch into place. Since then I have not thrown the circuit breaker. This also took the resistance off the throttle lever greatly too. I sprayed everything with Lithium grease in there so it will never bind again.