Volvo Guys.... I need suggestions! HELP!!! 5.0 EFI

sek-hunter

Cadet
Last year, my buddy bought a 2003 202 LPX with the Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-D, fuel injected. He got what we both thought was a GREAT deal. Turns out the old saying 'You get what you pay for' is working out to be true.

The boat would start, idle good, then seem to flood. Smelled like it was running rich. He decided to take it to a Volvo Mechanic (hard to find in our neck of the woods). They kept the boat for 2 weeks and charged him a 'boat' load to put a new distributor in and no change to the boat.

It still would idle for a while, then wouldn't start back unless you held the throttle at wide open, then wouldn't run long at all. Lots of smoke.

Took the boat to another mechanic. He swapped out the ECM with another boat and said it ran great. So, the boat needed an ECM. Sent the ECM to cali as recommended by a forum member. The guy said it was good but had trouble codes. He erased the codes and sent it back.

Started the boat tonight. It started quick and idled good for about 10 min. I shut it off and tried to start it back. Wouldn't start til I buried the throttle and then wouldn't run right. Wouldn't run at all under 3/4 throttle. The engine pulsed up and down the second time as well... Constantly at probably 200 - 300 rpm's.

Any suggestions?

After the wide open throttle start, it won't start at all.

Suggestions? Or does anyone know of an OUTSTANDING Volvo Penta Mechanic in the Kentucky/Tennessee Area?

Last edited by a moderator:

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Guys.... I need suggestions! HELP!!! 5.0 EFI

What were the trouble codes?

sek-hunter

Cadet

No clue......

Seems that a good guy from another forum may have pointed us in the direction of the fuel cell (painted inside). Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SEK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you have a flooding problem, not a lack of fuel (paint in the fuel cell)
Have you tested the fuel pressures on both the high and low pressure pump? You need to find out what the ECT (Coolant Temp) is telling the ECM. Could be showing cold. Will not set a code, it doesn't really know if it's cold or not. Could be other things, you really need a diagnostic computer to find out what is going on.

What's the full model number or serial number of your engine?

sek-hunter

Cadet

It sounds like you have a flooding problem, not a lack of fuel (paint in the fuel cell)
Have you tested the fuel pressures on both the high and low pressure pump? You need to find out what the ECT (Coolant Temp) is telling the ECM. Could be showing cold. Will not set a code, it doesn't really know if it's cold or not. Could be other things, you really need a diagnostic computer to find out what is going on.

What's the full model number or serial number of your engine?

Gxi-d. Is that what you are looking for?

Don S

You really need to get a diagnostic scan tool, along with a fuel pressure gauge for high pressure EFI systems, in order to do any troubleshooting on that engine. Or you are just going to go broke throwing parts at it.
How mechanical and electrical skills?

sek-hunter

Cadet

Pretty decent shade tree mechanic. I know what u mean about throwing money at it. Everything for this engine (sensors, etc) costs about three times as much as it would for a car. I know some parts can be cross referenced. Still don't wanna replace everything til we find it. I guess we'll have to get a scan tool or find a good Volvo guy. Can't seem to find one within 200 miles of here. Thanks for all the input.

Don S

If you plan on sticking with EFI boats, might as well start getting the tools you need for when problems pop up. It's amazing how many techs seem to want to replace the ECM. They seldom are the cause.
The other problem is they check for codes, if there aren't any, then they assume it's the ECM.
Many things can cause running problems and not actully set a code. Just like the ECT I mentioned earlier. It will set a code for Cold temps, but not until it say -130?F. At temp, there is more to worry about than your boat not starting and a code being set.

The scan tool I linked to, fuel pressure gauges, DVM, the OEM service manual, some patience and troubleshooting and you should be able to find about anything.

sek-hunter

Cadet

Thanks for the advice Don. I appreciate your time.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Always pay attention to Don...Now with that said you are describing a choke condition in efi. That is you temp senor is telling your ecu your block is cold and enriching the gas flow.... or your injector's are stuck. A 400 dollar diag tool is in order or a voltage meter and good understanding of efi component's there are only 5. Welcome to basic tech.

sek-hunter

Cadet

Always pay attention to Don...Now with that said you are describing a choke condition in efi. That is you temp senor is telling your ecu your block is cold and enriching the gas flow.... or your injector's are stuck. A 400 dollar diag tool is in order or a voltage meter and good understanding of efi component's there are only 5. Welcome to basic tech.
Makes sense... Thanks Tail Gunner

NoExcuses

Seaman

I'm considering buying one of these since the closest Volvo mechanic is going to problably charge me a couple hundred bucks to come out. I just want to make sure that the $400 kit is all I would need. I have GXi-E engines.

NoExcuses

Seaman

Disregard my last post, I found the info.