Volvo Gi 5.7L TBI ignition Misfire???

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like stated above, I have a Volvo 5.7 Gi with a TBI and the Non-Crab style Distributor. 991 hours on the engine. Yesterday while out on the water it started to run a little rough and cut out like a sputter while around 3000 RPM and it surged while at an idle while in drive at an idle. I went strait back into the dock and pulled it out and took her home. I replaced the the following
- Cap
- Rotor
-Plugs
-Wires
-Coil

The plugs looked normal but they were about 5 years old and there was a little surface rust on the plugs. There was a little oil on the threads of the plugs.

It still idles with a slight surge and I checked the Timing and Everything seems in order. I do not know the exact timing but the #1Spark Plug is firing at the same place at idle 850 RPM, 1000 RPM, and 3000 RPM.

Any Ideas or thoughts?
​Thank you.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
991 hours. I'd do a compression test. As well as test the fuel pressure, and find someone with a scanner so you can see if anything has a fault code.

MikDee

Banned

It still idles with a slight surge and I checked the Timing and Everything seems in order. I do not know the exact timing but the #1Spark Plug is firing at the same place at idle 850 RPM, 1000 RPM, and 3000 RPM.

Any Ideas or thoughts?
​Thank you.

I don't understand this statement? Are you saying that the timing is not advancing?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
If the timing isn't advancing ---- you have found one of the problems. Fix that and check the fuel filter for water.