Volvo gasket compound, grease, etc

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to pull the Volvo SX drive from my boat and replace the bellows, and inspect the gimbal bearing and u-joint (I just got the boat a few weeks ago).

In my Volvo manuals, it says to use 1161099 gasket sealing compound in a couple of places (like in the groove where the bellows goes). I am having a hard time getting this, so is there something else that can be used? I need something for the bellows and I need to use some when I replace the seal on the shift mechanism because the seal was installed backwards and is rusting.

Also, there are a couple of places that list "3M adhesive" (like the "VW bug shaped" water gasket on the drive). There are a vast number of 3M adhesives, so what should be used here?

Also, you are supposed to put grease around the place where the drive presses and seals against the bellows. What is a good grease for this? I have the volvo "Propeller shaft Grease" 3809449.

I was planning on using the merc. gimbal bearing grease on the gimbal bearing, and merc spline grease on the splines. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Fred

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo gasket compound, grease, etc

I was planning on using the merc. gimbal bearing grease on the gimbal bearing, and merc spline grease on the splines. Is this a good idea?

Been using it for years on salt water boats (including mine) both of those lubes were chosen specifically for splines and/or ujoints and gimbal bearings.
PS: Prop shafts are also splines.

Also, you are supposed to put grease around the place where the drive presses and seals against the bellows. What is a good grease for this? I have the volvo "Propeller shaft Grease" 3809449.

Yes, it actually allows the drive to slide tight against the bellows without pushing it out of possition.

Also, there are a couple of places that list "3M adhesive" (like the "VW bug shaped" water gasket on the drive). There are a vast number of 3M adhesives, so what should be used here?

You are the first I've ever heard call it that.......... except me :)
I use Mercs bellows adheisive because it's handy, just a type of contact cement to keep it in place before assembly.

In my Volvo manuals, it says to use 1161099 gasket sealing compound in a couple of places (like in the groove where the bellows goes).

I've never used that particular item, or even know what it is. I also use bellows adheisive on the end that is clamped to the transom shield, nothing on the end in the bellhousing.

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo gasket compound, grease, etc

You are the first I've ever heard call it that.......... except me :)
I use Mercs bellows adheisive because it's handy, just a type of contact cement to keep it in place before assembly.

I think I read your "vw bug" description in a previous post and it stuck in my head :)

Thanks for your help,
Fred