Volvo AQ170 Water in starter

newt5005

Seaman
Motor is in a 1973 19' Tri-Hull.After returning from a cold weather fishing trip (another post) I found that my starter needed replacing.After I removed it I found a couple of tablespoons of black water inside.This might be the cause of the starter problem,but I think the root cause is the solenoid.Related? dont know but will have the local starter/ alternator shop replace or repair both.This bring the subject of the post. Is this water the sign of something else?<br /> When I purchased this vessel 3 years ago,I had to replace the soft seal.The gimbles were done at this time as well. Could this water got in from the leaky transom? No other repairs have been done except a couple of impellers due to owner ignorance, an electrical tune up and a new altenerator.The starter had not given me any problems before.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ170 Water in starter

You may have a leaking ujoint bellows. It would allow water to go thru the bearings into the bellhousing, which in turn would allow the flywheel to sling water up into the starter. Or, you had water inside the boat get into the flywheel area of the bellhousing. Either way, the water will keep destroying starters till you cure the problem.

newt5005

Seaman

I looked at the elevation of the flywheel in relation to the bottom of the boat.I dont believe there was ever enough water in the boat to reach that level which leaves the bellows.<br /> When the softseal and gimbles were replaced, I remember the mechanic telling me that the bellows were fine and did not need replaced at that time, so it wasn't.<br /> Is this procedure something that is best left to a professional Marine mechanic, or is this a straightforeward replacement?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Volvo bellows are only good for 3 years max. <br />I don't know your mechanical ability, so I can't say if you can do it or not.<br />If you had the boat in salt water, you will probably need new ujoints and intermediate bearings as well. Salt water had to go through them to be in the bellhousing. Also check the drive oil. The seal in the drive was not designed to keep water out, only oil in.

newt5005

Seaman

The boat has never been in salt water since I have owned it and was told it wasnt from the origional owners.Thay lived 5 minutes from a lake and 3 houre from salt.I have moderate mechanic skills but not Marine education.I understand thay are a world apart.Thanks for the info.I appreciate it. Mike

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Mike<br />Check the engine cover.<br />On my boat the engine cover let water run down the back of the cover and dripped onto the starter motor.<br />Same result as yours - water in starter.<br />Take the starter off and dismantle it. wash it out with a lowe pressure water blaster to remove all the debris and then dry all the components thoroughly with an air duster.<br />The water blaster WILL NOT hurt any thing, DON'T use any solvent cleaners or it will 'POOOF' ;) faster than JB on a post.<br />Relube all the moving parts, Check that the brushes are free in the brush holder and replace if necessary then reassemble.<br />Those starters are simple to service.<br />Have fun,<br /> :) <br />Peter