Volvo AQ125A: WILL NOT START

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronboi01

Recruit
I am new so go easy on me...LOL
I have a circa 1984 Volvo AQ125A in a 19.5 bayliner, I just bought, the day I looked at the boat it was running and puring like a kitten, then got it home, tried to start it and no luck. It did run out of gas I was told, here's were I'm at: has gas, gas is moving in carb, i can see it, has spark, tested coil, & points and put in new plugs and rotor cap and gas, it started a couple times for only 20-30 seconds, now it plain old will not fire at all??? Found the distributor lose, not lose enought to move by itself but enought to turn it by hand, I played with that moving it about 3-5 degrees in each direction, I could hear when it was def. not right but still no starting. I surely would appreciate any and all advise, If I missed pertinant info just let me know

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ125A: WILL NOT START

Those engines don't have chokes, and are really cold natured untill the temp comes up.
Pump the throttle about 6 times while cranking and see if it will go.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been going a round with a boat I recently bought that is very similar, 1983 19' bayliner, AQ125A. It had set up a very long time and was totally full of common problems. When starting on an old fixer upper I always check compression 1st thing, look at the oil, clean & re-set points, check that carbureator is clean and it has clean fuel. On these engines there are 3 gears for the timing belt. When the timing mark is set at zero the cam pulley should exactly match up timing marks on the valve cover and there is a little dot on the face of the intermediate shaft (which pulls the distributor). This dot should align with the notch in the backing plate behind that gear. The notch will be on the "passenger side" or port side. If the timing is set reasonably close, you have fire, compression, and gas then it should crank. I had several problems with corroded terminals which really has been a PITA chasing and cleaning...but it does purr like a kitten now...and I've still not got all of the engine back together but will have it in the water tomorrow. Good luck. Oh yeah, the condenser is on the side of the distributor...pull the wire off, and with the switch on you should have 12 volts to that wire...using a volt meter put the positive lead on that wire and negative lead to battery neg or to a good ground.

firjang

Recruit

Hi everyone:

I have exactly the same situation in Early sep this year I bougt a boat with Volvo AQ125A engine. It works at the sellers home , once I get it home for whole month I was never able to start it once.

I have checked everything I have known,
1. battery is good 12.5 volt idle, 11 volt cranking.
2. all spark plug has spark
3. pull spark plug it is wet.
4. oil has 40PSI ,

not sure what else I can do to get the engine started. And winter is comming how can I winterize if the engine is not running. if anyone can help ?

-Roland

chiefalen

Captain

How do you know it has 40 psi if it don't run?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Roland.
Welcome to iboats, best to start a new thread with your question, even if it is the same problem. In no time your post will be lost to all that don't read every reply (most) or people get confused as to who is answering whom!

Status
Not open for further replies.