Volvo AQ125A/ 270 Outdrive

Hey all I have just bought an 83Volvo Penta with a AQ125A/ 270 Outdrive. First of i know to each his own but what do ya'll think about that combo? I have heard good and not so much bad. Now for the good part I just did a full tune up on the boat i.e. sparkplugs wires, cap rotor and impeller. The guy I bought this off of was running 87 octane in it and 10-30 oil. So I Ran the boat w/ 10-40 oil as specifiyed but the gas is the same. My question is when I let the throttle down to low idle in gear it spit and sputters out the carb and tries to die and will unless you give it more gas. What do yo all think the problem may be? Gas or carb cleaning and adjustment? Thank you sorry for the long thread just like to get all the info there.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo AQ125A/ 270 Outdrive

You did not mention changing the points in the distributor and checking their dwell and distributor timing. Condition of the points and the dwell and timing have a big effect on idle quality.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

apart from what maclin said to do i have an AQ130A with a 270 leg and i love it,,, ok top speed isnt fantastic but it sounds and feels good

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

++Maclin

Better yet discard the points and condenser and go electronic, I have the Pertronix Ignitor I and it is great.

Are you getting that sputtering when cold? These take a while to warm up for the first start of the day due to no real choke, after that they are fine. A good engine, drive combo just need a little TLC to keep them going.

Have you cleaned the carb at all, with spray? Is the gas old and not been stabilized? You would get all kinds of poor running with this condition of fuel.

Joe

JAL51974
I have stripped and cleaned the Carb. The man I bought the boat from was running 87 Octane and per the manual it should be 90+ right? It is about 2 month old gas and I am refilling it later this weak w/ new gas 90+ octane and adding Berrymans B-12 to the tank. Yes it seems to do it in the water under power for about the first 10 min or so after that it seems to run great. The moter was also just rebuilt last year. When I ran it on the hose today it ran at 170?F and ran smooth as a kittin. Does this sound normal? Thanks

Maclin- I am not sure of the distributor dwell? How do I check this? Also the cap only goes on one way? It does idle good it is at about 1800-2000 rpm under load for about the first 10-15min it pops out of the carb. Would it be just cold nature like JAL91574 stated? Thanks

Maclin

Admiral

The dwell is set by the points gap. You set the points gap to spec then use a dwell meter to verify that the points are set correctly. Anytime the points are set or reset it can change the timing slightly so it is necessary to at least check timing after setting the dwell.

Regarding the gasoline octane, I bet if you look at the manual there are two types of ratings...:

Inside the U.S.: (R+M)/2 (AKI) ? 89
Outside the U.S.: (RON) ? 93

R+M/2 method 87 octane is the same as RON method 91.

The manual also states that the 87 octane fuel can be used, it is the minimum. My "older" owner's manual says 87 (91 under RON), and there is a placard on my engine that says 87 also (also shows 91 RON). My engine is also covered in an updated but broader manual that specifies 89, but that when 89 is not available then 87 can be used and is not considered as misuse of the engine by Volvo.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

The man I bought the boat from was running 87 Octane and per the manual it should be 90+ right? It is about 2 month old gas and I am refilling it later this weak w/ new gas 90+ octane and adding Berrymans B-12 to the tank.
I WOULD THINK THAT ELIMINATES THE GAS AS DETERIORATED AND SINCE YOU DID THE CARB THAT ELIMINATES THAT TOO. I USE 87 NO PROBLEM.

Yes it seems to do it in the water under power for about the first 10 min or so after that it seems to run great.
THAT SEEMS TO LINK WITH WHAT I SUGGESTED THESE JUST RUN COLD AT FIRST AND MINE NEEDS ABOUT 6 MIN. TO WARM UP TO 185 DEG. WHERE IT STAYS. GIVE IT SOME MORE TIME TO REALLY WARM UP!

The moter was also just rebuilt last year. When I ran it on the hose today it ran at 170?F and ran smooth as a kittin. Does this sound normal?
THAT IS COOL COMPARED TO MINE BUT THEN YOU HAVE A REBUILT MOTOR MAYBE THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? NOT SURE.

IDLES AT 1800-2000 RPM UNDER LOAD FOR FIRST 10 MIN...THAT SEEMS TOO HIGH TO ME, I THINK THIS IS SUPPOSED TO IDLE AROUND 900-1000?? I WOULD CHECK THE SETTING OF THE POINTS WITH A DWELL METER OR GET THE PERTRONIX IGN SYSTEM.

Joe

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They are cold natured takes 10 min at least to warm up. Make sure you put an in line fuel/water seperator.Be very careful with getting the starter/alt wet. They cost 300$ min to replace.Take them off and clean and seal with plastic or paint, Also put in a sea strainer. The heat exchanger will clog up easily with sand and mud.Thats another 350$
The sterndrive is great!!! Uses 30wt oil. Inside the motor compartment at the back of the motor at the back/top of the bell housing should be a grease fitting hit it about 10=15 pumps with a grease gun. That lubes the shaft bearings. Don't be afraid to spray front/top of motor with WD40 These motors run good and will last a long time.Jerry

Thanks to all for the info I will try the suggestions and provide feedback when completed. I am much more confident about the motor and outdrive after ya'lls reveiws and the other posts on the forum. THANKS AGAIN!!:D

Found the problem! The Aux fuel pump on the carb was leaking fuel when when applying throttle under load. Put seal all all over it and stopped the leak due to the fact that, that gasket is hard to get apart w/o doing damage to the metal. Now the only other problem is vac leak somewhere. Looking for that, But the acceleration power lose is almost nonexistent.