volvo aq 125 modifications

Len_Rice

Cadet
hello, long time since i was on. i've got an '82 bayliner capri with the infamous ohc volvo 4 cylinder "B-18" engine. i thought the mechanically inclined out there would get a kick out of the mods i've performed:<br />#1 remove solex carb & place in trash<br />#2 fashion aluminum plate so that alum holley 4bbl to 2 bbl will bolt on<br />#3 install holley 300cfm 2 bbl (route pcv to engine breather port on block) <br />#4 remove and throw out mechanical fuel pump, then plum in sealed electric fuel pump with filter<br />#5 fashion aluminum block off plate for fuel pump boss<br />#6 remove point distributor and install a magnetic pick-up distribor out of a B-21 volvo engine (it will need to be modified to delete vacuum advance)<br />#7 use the original ignition "on" wire from the coil to activate a relay<br />#8 use the relay to fire and MSD box and the fuel pump <br />conclusion: this didn't make me faster, but gave me a far more enjoyable powerplant. easier to start, more reliable. hope you find it interesting.<br /><br /> Rice

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: volvo aq 125 modifications

Electronic ignition is always a plus, especially with the MSD box. I'd like to see a pic of this beast if you have one! :)

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo aq 125 modifications

reading your reply to another post it seems you are concerned with the safety of your work. so...your electric fuel pump set up, as described, is not up to snuff. this site shows the basics. http://www.marinemechanic.com/2000/chfacts/elec_fuel.htm cg says the fuel pump shall not run unless the engine is 1. running. or 2. cranking. or 3. momentary on switch for priming system. vacumn advance is disabled when hose is removed. never seen a marine distributor with vacumn advance though.automotive distributors aren't ignition protected as required by cg regs. good luck and good boating.