Volvo 5.0 GXI-E overheating over 3k RPM

Titans01

Recruit
Replaced: Impellar, Sender from thermostat, thermostat. - Flushed system using the blue cap hose.
Temp at thermostat doesn't climb over 140. Impellar temp around 80's (from IR gun)
Once I get on plane - temp on gauge starts flying - I shut it down before it hits 200. Immediately lift cover and start reading temps. Everything normal - driver side riser hottest at 160.
Just had the clutch replaced - never over heated before. First drive after outdrive was put back on - overheated and alarmed.
Clutch replace was performed by mechanic who has worked for years with me.
Lower unit - Penta SX if important.
About to trailer and take back to the mechanic if nothing simple. I replaced the 1st line of this post - that's about all or my skill level.
Serial - 4012166252
~450 hours on boat.
Fresh water

Appreciate any info - thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Once I get on plane - temp on gauge starts flying - I shut it down before it hits 200. Immediately lift cover and start reading temps. Everything normal - driver side riser hottest at 160.

Your seeing the gauge climb and its overheating. Stop and read temps with IR gun and all normal. Your issue may just be the gauge

Titans01

Recruit
I'm hopeful that's it. Concerned me because it alarmed. Would a faulty guage cause an alarm??
Sorry I didn't mention that in the first inquiry.

alldodge

Staff member
Normally no, need more information in order to determine what is happening
Best way is to scan the motor for codes and see what it says

The GXI also has exhaust temp senders but does need more then 160*