Volvo 5.0 GL PEFS (Charcoal) oil pressure issue

Heckas

Cadet
History: I have a Four Winns 200 year 2000. It has a Penta 5.0 GL (Charcoal) engine. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years. Boat is on trailer with water hose hooked up during testing described below.

Issue: I finally got the motor "running". With running I mean firing on all cylinders (distributor replacement). Now on to the next issue - there seem to be a lack of oil pressure and an oil leak....

When I fire it up the alarm beep keeps beeping and the little oil can indicator is blinking -not good. I obviously turned off immediately. I wanna say the alarm was not beeping continuously, only on higher RPM?s strange enough. (Is the alarm on the engine supposed to sound? I only heard the alarm from boat instrument panel)

I noticed that milky oil is leaking out in the harmonic balancer / front of crankshaft area, not sure exactly where yet. As mentioned the oil is white. When I check the dip stick the oil looks fine, no water. Looking down the oil filler cap I see some white in the oil, until now I figured it was just from sitting for so long in Florida?s humidity. Now with the milky oil leak from a different location I am not so sure anymore? I probably had the engine running for about 15 seconds between my 3-4 attempts before I gave up on getting oil pressure. In that time a nice streak of oil was made on the bilge right below the harmonic balancer. I would guestimate the amount of oil to about a tablespoon. One of the belt driven devices seem to be causing some resistance. When the engine was rev?d a bit they squealed. It could obviously be the generator but I figured I would mention it since it could be water pump related. I should point out that these belts are probably fairly old.

Where is the most likely place for the leak?
Any theories why the leak is a mix of water and oil?

I realize that I am most likely in for a surgery in the balancer area. Just hoping I can do what I need with the engine in boat. I am also worried that I may have TWO issues. The water in oil may have a different cause than the leak.

Any tips are much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Henrik

BILL INGRAHAM

Seaman
Re: Volvo 5.0 GL PEFS (Charcoal) oil pressure issue

I Have Nearly The Same Motor Albeit Tbi-alarm Is W The Engine-i Think Your Timing Cover Needs To Come Off-this Is An Unusual Problem.any Small Block Tech Should Be Able To Nail This One For You.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bill, turn off your caps lock. Then you won't have every word of your posts capitalized. Makes it really hard to read.

i Think Your Timing Cover Needs To Come Off-this Is An Unusual Problem.any Small Block Tech Should Be Able To Nail This One For You.

Say WHAT??????? :confused: :confused:

They need the timing cover, or the oil has a tendancy to fall out of the engine.:rolleyes:

Heckas

Cadet

Ok, here's some more info. I talked to the previous owner (who happens to be my neighbor). When I mentioned the oil pressure he said "Eh, (cough), well, I noticed that when the boat had been sitting on a downhill slope for a while that it took a minute or so before the alarm stopped when starting the boat up..." It makes me feel great if the motor in fact didnt have oil pressure the first minute every time he put it in the lake. However, I think it is safe to say that the oil pressure and oil leak is not related. It didnt leak when he had it. I think my plan is to replace whatever seal that needs replacing. Change the oil to make sure the right weight is used and see what happens. Maybe I wont see amy more water in the oil. Does that sound like a good approach?

Does anyone have an old motor like mine laying around? I think I am going to need the brackets holding generator, power sterring pump etc as mine are corroded pretty bad. If I get them off they might not be usable anymore...

Any additional tips are always welcome!

Thanks,
Henrik

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have a Four Winns VDO dash. These units are know for many problems and before you start replacing anything for low oil pressure, check your oil pressure with another gauge. These dash can be sent off to be fixed, but it will fail again. The best fix is to purchase a replacement dash from Four Winns with normal gauges. These dashes will fit and opening and plug right into the wiring. They are not cheap, but worth every penny in the long run.

Heckas

Cadet

Dave1251 - you are giving me hope! Of course an expensive new dash is not great but I'd prefer that over rebuilding the engine. When you say 'normal dash' can you please specify? Also, how much is it / where to buy?

I will test with a different gauge for the time being.

Thanks,
Henrik

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Dashes cost between $300 to $400. The gauges are seperate analog and look like the current dashes in the H series. You can order the dashes from any Four Winns dealer and should only take a couple of weeks to get.