volvo 290 leg ... trim / trimmer questions

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
to raise the leg, I have to press and hold down button 1 and push the toggle switch down to the #3 position

to lower the leg, all I have to do I push the toggle switch upwards.

pressing #1 by itself, nothing happens.

any ideas?

also, my trimmer gauge has taken some water and is messed up. could that be affecting the trim controls?

Attachments

• photo220681.PNG
    photo220681.PNG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo220682.png
    photo220682.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
one of two things.

either A - you are above 6 degrees and the trim is smart enough to know that (you are in the tilt range). operating above 6 degrees is hard on joints, hence the 2 switch operation in the TILT zone above 6 dedgrees. (trim is from about -7 degrees to about 6 or 7 degrees)

or B - you have an electrical component malfunction (stuck relay, mis calibrated trim sensor, etc.)

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Hi JT
I have the same set up and it does the same, I'm sure it's a safety feature that you have too hold the toggle switch and press the button at the same time To raise the drive. Doesn't matter if the drive keeps going down if someone leans on it. Well that's my understanding on it

Pesimist

Seaman
No Title

Not sure if someone may have changed out your throttle lever or not. As far as I know, the 290 trim system should also include the trim switch on the throttle in addition to the switch panel you've pictured.

If the trim light on your gage remains illuminated when outdrive is between -7 to +7, you could have a problem.

Toggling the #2 or #3 switch should trim your drive up or down without depressing the #1 button only if the drive is between -7 to +7.

Who is on Second?

Attachments

• photo220708.jpg
    photo220708.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
all 3 answers are helpful
cozza sounds like you have the same problem as me. I don't think that it is normal.

should the controls be able to operate without the trimmer gauge? mine don't and im thinking there is no power or a short when it is connected.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if someone may have changed out your throttle lever or not. As far as I know, the 290 trim system should also include the trim switch on the throttle in

I have the old school 2 lever system, and next to it, the trim controls

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking it must be mis-wired.

I bet if I wire that toggle switch to send 12v to either of the relays (up & down relays at pump), then everything should work fine.

I don't need a gauge. never had a gauge before this boat.

should that work?
what exactly does the 'brain' do in the square trim gauge?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your system requires the gauge. The gauge is what triggers the relay that allows you to operate in the trim zone without needing to operate the tilt button

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have located a 290 leg in much better shape.

it has the single handle throttle shift control, an intact gauge, and even all the hydraulics.

leg, controls, wires, hydraulics and no barnacle growth for 300$ (240 USD)

I couldn't say no.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
by looking at the schematic I saw that the tilt button acts as an override when the gauge has failed (possibly by design)