Volvo 280

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I have a volvo 280 outdrive on my boat. I was thinking about upgrading to the newer styles. Is it worth it? And How difficult would this operation be?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 280

hello<br /> what kind of upgrades? there are some duo-prop upgrades. or are you just going to change the entire drive?<br /> post back more drive hull and engine ID.<br /> good luck and keep posting

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, It is a 350 chevy on a 2550 Bayliner ciera. I was thinking on changing the entire out drive, mainly because you cannot trim this drive in reverse, it has to be locked all the way down before you reverse it. There have been several times it did not lock, and it slams up against the bump stop. Luckly I have not damaged it so far. Any suggestions??

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Oh yeah, forgot to post the engine ID. It is the AQ225

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep what Dieselwalt says.<br /> otherwise its a 10 K upgrade.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow my 280 had hydraulic trim and tilt so what you are saying was not an issue unless your lock downs are worn out / out of adjustment. Just an opinion I would do a bottom end exchange to duo-prop and then leave it alone. This drive really <br />impressed me with its smooth shift - durability and just over all performance. Also i liked the flywheel dampenning plate with springs on the back of the moter instead of the rubber coupler.<br />I wihed it was still in manufacture for new boats.